pig tale required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prhart

in an outlet box with one romex 3 wire in and one romex 3 wire out can you use the outlet terminals to pass thru that outlet box or do you have to wire nut them so the pass thru is not the receptacle?

iwire

Staff member
It depends.

You are never required by the NEC to pigtail the hots.

But if it is part of a multiwire branch circuit the NEC requires us to pigtail the neutral.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since there is only one grounding screw on the device I was thinking that was self explanatory but you never no how determined someone might be. :)

I threw it out there because I'm unsure if pigtailing the EGC is specifically required by the NEC. Is there a prohibition for making a device which will accept more than one EGC?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I threw it out there because I'm unsure if pigtailing the EGC is specifically required by the NEC. Is there a prohibition for making a device which will accept more than one EGC?
Yes, there is a prohibition for this. The EGC path can't depend on the device (similar to a neutral in a MWBC). Sorry, but I don't have my code book readily available so I can't site the exact 250.XX.

iwire

Staff member
250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to Boxes.

(B) Grounding Continuity. The arrangement of grounding connections shall be such that the disconnection or the removal of a receptacle, luminaire, or other device fed from the box does not interfere with or interrupt the grounding continuity

If you think about it even devices with pressure plate terminations are designed to accept only one EGC.

hurk27

This might prevent more then one EGC langing on a receptacle:

250.148(B) Grounding Continuity. The arrangement of grounding
connections shall be such that the disconnection or the
removal of a receptacle, luminaire, or other device fed from
the box does not interfere with or interrupt the grounding
continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.