Pipe wrenches, a must have?

zappy

I see electricians using pipe wrenches. I feel like they're only for plumbers. What is your take? I've always use channel locks for everything.

If you work industrial for any period of time. You will use a pipe wrench and maybe even a 36” lol
I love having a big pipe wrench around. Bought a 48" last year. Needed to rebuild a big hydraulic cylinder. The rod nut was about 4.5" across the flats, torque spec of 3200 ft lbs LOL. Needed a 10 foot cheater pipe to get it off, and a both a truck and the tractor to hold the eye end. I kinda want to a bigger one now, just to have.....

Attachments

• wrench1.jpg
    wrench1.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 41
  • wrench2.jpg
    wrench2.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 41

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
If you are doing that kind of stuff you need a torque multiplier. We call it a 4 to one. And of course a 6' torque wrench and 1" drive sockets...
If you were cracking 3000lbs im suprised the wrench didnt crack...

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Knew a guy that loooved his 48" pipe wrench. When he wanted to be left alone, he'd put it on his shoulder and walk slowly away. Nobody would follow for fear he would ask for some help with whatever he was headed for.

BillyMac59

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
One industrial job I had required installation of rigid up to 2 1/2". I bought aluminum pipe wrenches for this. Easier to haul 3 different sized aluminum wrenches than a 3' steel one. For smaller pipe, the rounded jaw channellocks do the trick.

If you are doing that kind of stuff you need a torque multiplier. We call it a 4 to one. And of course a 6' torque wrench and 1" drive sockets...
If you were cracking 3000lbs im suprised the wrench didnt crack...
Yeah those are nice. A cheaper way to go is a flogging spanner/striking wrench. ITs a heavy duty short stubby wrench that you hit with a sledge hammer.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Aluminum pipe wrenches are the best. Only trouble is if you have aluminum, they get stolen, but they won't bother with the forged steel wrenches.

Same with adjustable and box and open end wrenches and adjustable. The black steel ones they leave if it is chrome plated lock them up..

When my employer closed down in the mid 80s he gave me a deal on a truck and tools and i started my own business. We had 3' and 4' pipe wrenches as well as smaller ones. I took the 3' the 4' I left behind LOL

Chain wrenches are good and a lot lighter

zappy

I just used one to get a close nipple out of a condulet. Had to use a 1"1/4 pipe as a cheater. Worked great.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I love my 24" ALUMINUM pipe wrench. I highlighted the material because large steel pipe wrenches are a pain.