Piping proximities to electrical equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

If I have a two story building with a electrical room on the 1st floor and a restroom directly above separated by a lay-in acoustical ceiling, is there a minimum distance the sanitary/water piping needs to be ABOVE the electrical equipment or do I just need to get it away all together?

Would it be wise to ask the architect for a hard ceiling above the electrical room instead of a acoustical? Obviously this would be a last resort.

PS. Right now im looking at 110.21 exhibit in the handbook. It shows 6' above for a sprinkler pipe. Would water/sanitary be OK 6' above as well?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If I understand this correctly, you are saying that the pipes are located below the structural floor of the bathroom, and above the accoustical tile ceiling of the electric room. If that is correct, I will next ask if the pipes are directly over any panel (as opposed to being located above the working space in front of the panel)?

Pipes that are directly over the panel itself must be at least 6 feet above the top of the panel, and there must be a drip shield between the pipe and the panel. Pipes that are over the working space must be six and a half feet above the floor. Reference 110.26(A)(3) and 110.26(E).

All types of pipe and ductwork fall under the same rules.

Npstewart

Thank you both!

Yes, there is a structural floor (2nd floor) then the pipes penetrate the 2nd floor which makes them above the 1st floor electrical ceiling. I don't believe the pipes are DIRECTLY above a panel because the panels are on the exterior wall, and the toilet piping etc is a little moved away from the wall.

Both helped me out a lot, thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You need to keep the footprint of the panelboard free from the other piping up to 6'. Here's a graphic from the NECH:

Dedicatedspace.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.