Placement of outlets in a commercial building

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to lay some outlets out today and was wondering what section in the code book says about placement of the outlets. OK you have two rooms and one wall that will have outlets that will point into each room off the same wall. What is the code on a outlet being in between the stud and one pointing into one room and the other pointing into the other room but inside the same chase in between the two studs. For some reason I am thinking it is against code to point one into one room and the other into the other room, in between the same two studs, is that not against code

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Many commercial specs around here prohibit them from being in the same stud space to help minimize sound transmission.

OK, I was thinking that it was against code to have two outlets in between the same studs pointing in opposite directions, you would be connecting to two rooms, I was thinking this because of fire, if a fire broke out in the one room, I was thinking that it would create a path to spread to the other room if they were Il the same chase

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
OK, I was thinking that it was against code to have two outlets in between the same studs pointing in opposite directions, you would be connecting to two rooms, I was thinking this because of fire, if a fire broke out in the one room, I was thinking that it would create a path to spread to the other room if they were Il the same chase

And it would but, if the wall is not a rated fire barrier it doesn't matter. In some designs it is not allowed for sound transfer reasons.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.