Plant panel numbering system

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunt4679

Im working at a chemical plant that has no panel numbering system in place. There are sub panels of sub panels and motor control panels single and three phase spread out over 6 buildings. I was put in charge of coming up with a numbering system for everything in the plant. I dont know where to start. Is there a standard that I dont know about? Any ideas would be helpful.:-?

WorkSafe

Our facilities are setup like a large grid system identified on all the support columns. Two of our buildings, both over 2.5mil sqft are labeled very similar.

Example:

Panel (A107) at post A-107 is fed from Panel (Z54) at post Z54.

I'm not the one who set it up like this, but that's how they got it. Setting things up in a grid will be the easiest way.

If you have multiple floors like jeremy mentioned, just add that floor number to the beginning.

cadpoint

You need to go find the record drawings and find the Riser Diagrams for either each building or the sum of all the buildings.

If not available or incomplete then, IMO; One will need to do a total survey to reflect the total Panel system from the street side supply to the string of loads to the down line load in respects to each panel.

Having said that! It can be done in-house, with the proper PPE gear, with-in the limited windows of ?Down Time? for product lines, etc. Or can be done when cold!

A Riser Diagram reflects each panel size, the circuits that supply it, the branch circuits that run out of it and branch / distribution to additional down line systems (panels).

Each Panel (will/can) create its own panel schedule, an example POCO trannie outside, 4000 Amp six throw in one building to six panels and split out from there. All these need to be ID?d.

The simple answer is to break out the Lighting panels and the Power panels. I?m sure each building has a name or a personality! U can use that reference with letters to suit.

From the top U have the MDP- Main Distribution Panel to be a server of your six other panels, or trannies. The key is to have the numbers or letters reflect your exact location, per the building!

Or the Kiss principle of Trannie, XFR-01, LL01, PP01? it should be exact and a little thought out, hope this helps.

big john

I don't know how many panels you're talking, if it's hundreds, this might not work: For smaller systems of just a few dozen panels, I include a "description" in the name.

Panel EL-A-3#1 might be Emergency power, Low voltage (120/208), building A, 3rd floor, Panel #1.

NH-C-1#15 = Normal power, High Voltage (277/480), building C, 1st floor, panel #15.

...Etc. I like that system because it has the dual purpose of helping the guy in the field of identifying what a panel might do without having to look it up in the prints. For example, you're not looking for an Emergency panel, it's really easy to weed those out.

-John

Last edited:

cadpoint

Big, Glad you posted your statement! I frankly couldn't remember a clearer example of the verbage for a panel asignment!

I didn't want to state what I'm working on now HPV2 - (+ circuit number- that is a branch circuit-reflective of a panel). lights are 277... (on the second floor)

This jobs also happens to have 80 circuit panels on the low voltage side, sorry haven't studied the Riser Diagram :)

Im working at a chemical plant that has no panel numbering system in place. There are sub panels of sub panels and motor control panels single and three phase spread out over 6 buildings. I was put in charge of coming up with a numbering system for everything in the plant. I dont know where to start. Is there a standard that I dont know about? Any ideas would be helpful.:-?

A common variant is to base everything on the electrical system.

Quick and dirty:

Main incoming switchgear, first distribution level. Use the manufacturer cubicle location designations, Number for the vertical section and Letter for the horizontal cubicle. Carry this number/letter all the way through to the furthest distribution point.
Add the next distribution point accordingly to the above and so on.
This way you are able to quickly tell where to follow your fault. You may want to prefix with purpose designators, such a L for Lighting U for Utility, P for Power, and Voltage Level designators H, M, L. Embed in the prefix the function, such as (S)withcgear/Board, (T)ransformer, (P)anel. etc.

MCC's also have vertical and horizontal locations assigned by the manufacturer and on panels you have Position numbers. Don't use the circuit numbers, as they can change depends on the number of poles you have on the breaker.

iaov

I've worked in a couple of different places that have had no real system of identifying where panels are located. The newer stuff has indentification but the older stuff did not and the only people who knew where this stuff was and what it fed were the old electricians. When setting up your system it would be a good idea to talk to them.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If a new project left the choice to me, I would use something like this: "HDP-01-N02," where:
  • The first single letter tells you the voltage level (H = 480/277, L = 120/208),
  • The next two letters tell you the type of equipment (DP = Dist. Panel, BP = Branch Panel, SG = Switchgear, SB = Switchboard, TR = Transformer, AT = Automatic Transfer Switch, etc.),
  • The next two characters (letters and numbers, as needed) give you the floor level,
  • The next single letter tells you the classification of the system (N = Normal, E = Emergency, L = Legally Required Standby, S = Optional Standby, with perhaps a two character designation needed for hospitals that have critical, life safety, and equipment branches), and
  • The final two numbers are sequential (for my example, this is the second 480/277 volt distribution panel on the normal source located on floor 01).

Status
Not open for further replies.