plastic box in unfinished utility room

Status
Not open for further replies.

electric1985

hello everyone. I just finished a basement in NJ, the utility room was supposed to be sheetrock last minute change its going to left as is, so I had 1 switch and 1 receptacle in the walls, since sheetrock is no longer going to be installed, I finished the room by installing my switch and outlet, with a regular plate. so it looks exactly as it would in a finished wall just without sheetrock, I failed inspection because "plastic boxes are not rated to be outside sheetrock" and there's an "overhang on the cover". the inspector just kept repeating that's code but wasn't able to tell me WHERE in the code, to me this is idiotic and would appreciate any help on the matter as I am planning to do a formal complain with the building department. (not the first run in with the same inspector)

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Ask the inspector for a code reference and not just "It's in the code".

There is no NEC code section that prohibits a plastic box from being installed "Outside of Sheetrock".

There is also no NEC code section that prohibits a device cover from overhanging the edge of a box.

Chris

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What is the box listed as? If it is listed as an "outlet box", you are good to go, but if it is listed as a "flush device box" I think you have an issue.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Welcome to the forum.:)

Ask the inspector for a code reference and not just "It's in the code".

There is no NEC code section that prohibits a plastic box from being installed "Outside of Sheetrock".

There is also no NEC code section that prohibits a device cover from overhanging the edge of a box.

Chris
However, you may be required to use a metal cover plate instead of a plastic cover plate since the edges are exposed to damage in a way they would not be in a flush installation on sheetrock. (I have not been able to find that in 2011 NEC, but it may be a local or Building Code requirement.)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
However, you may be required to use a metal cover plate instead of a plastic cover plate since the edges are exposed to damage in a way they would not be in a flush installation on sheetrock. (I have not been able to find that in 2011 NEC, but it may be a local or Building Code requirement.)
Just use an unbreakable switch cover.:cool:

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I can't begin to imagine the hundreds of homes in this area that have plastic boxes with switches and/or receptacles with standard plates on them in unfinished areas. Most of these homes are fairly new too. I'd demand a code article as well.

jumper

Bad idea IMO, those metal covers can have sharp edges and the UT box covers do not fit or look right.

Inspector is most likely incorrect, and I would just leave it and force the issue over a code reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.