Plastic/Fiberglass Ceiling Boxes -ground lug

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiller123

New User
Occupation
Director
Do inspectors expect a ground lug in ceiling boxes? I know of around 5 states that require, but not in all cities. Is this going to continue?

smiller123

New User
Occupation
Director
Nothing - but states like Arizona, California, Nevada require I have tried reaching out to inspectors but no success yet.
Carlon and Cantex both make the boxes with the lugs

rcarroll

As I understand it, some jurisdictions, mine included, like to see the EGC connected to the ground stud in the light boxes because they/we don't pull the fixture down to verify the EGC is connected to the fixture.
Since the stud is bonded, they/we feel the stud will then bond the fixture strap & screws.
Make sense?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As I understand it, some jurisdictions, mine included, like to see the EGC connected to the ground stud in the light boxes because they/we don't pull the fixture down to verify the EGC is connected to the fixture.
Since the stud is bonded, they/we feel the stud will then bond the fixture strap & screws.
Make sense?

I'm confused, why would a non-metallic box have a ground stud?

rcarroll

A lot of them either come with the stud installed or a package of them come with the case of light boxes.
If the studs are not installed, the EC will have to install them with an 8/32 screw in an existing threaded mounting hole in the box.
The stud also has a threaded hole in which to mount the fixture strap.
As I stated earlier, an inspector will at least know at rough the metal fixture hardware will be bonded thru the stud.
This really isn't anything new. I trust someone can get a picture of one & post it.

Ron

Make sense?

Is this a local amendment or just something they "like to see"?

kwired

Electron manager
If it is about concern of grounding the fixture yet they don't want to pull them down to check, simple test with a non contact voltage tester is easy way to tell if they are grounded. Turn light on, hold tester close to metal body and if it indicates voltage - the metal body is not grounded and has capacitive coupled voltage on it is why this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.