Plastic Sprinkler lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave58er

I know its not an electrical issue but this is the only forum I roll with so I'll ask you guys. Ever see anything like this?
These are PVC sprinkler lines. The whole building is done like this. The wording on the pipe says listed for "sprinkler mains", but the way it says underground makes me think "irrigation".
BTW its an older building ('54) and I think this was a retrofit.

RICK NAPIER

PVC pipe is permitted for both residential and commercial use. For comercial use see NFPA 13 article 6.3.6.1 and it is tested to the standard ASTMF 442.

kwired

Electron manager
what is the problem with it? I bet it holds up better than most people think it will. If there is a fire and water is flowing through the sprinklers as that is the intent this water will keep the line cooled enough to continue to function. If the line gets hot enough to rupture the building is probably beyond saving, plus you now have water at the hot spot.

ever seen a water bed that was in a fire. they often are still intact, but you barely disturb them and the bladder bursts.

ItsHot

This stuff has been around for years! It is listed and approved for that use as one of the photos show!! I bet the pipefitters fight over getting one of these jobs versus a black iron job!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This stuff has been around for years! It is listed and approved for that use as one of the photos show!! I bet the pipefitters fight over getting one of these jobs versus a black iron job!

not much black iron being used these days. they use some stuff that is so thin you can deflect the sidewall with hand pressure. but it does the job. thats what matters.

i have seen a few that use copper pipe as well.

Dave58er

Sorry, I should have been more succinct in my OP.
I don't have any problem with something that is listed and approved. :)

My question was concerning this pipes listing as "sprinkler" pipe. It doesn't say anything about fire protection, but also says "underground main" which made me wonder if it was meant for irrigation types of sprinklers. You know, like landscaping stuff.

I don't do residential work, but I don't think many houses in this area get sprinkler systems installed. If you guys say you see it all the time then I'm sure its fine, I just haven't seen it. ;)

I do appreciate your input on this off electrical topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.