Plastic verses metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or has been discussed at length already. I use plastic nail on boxes for just about all switches and receptacles. Sometimes for smokes also. Which is safer and why in your opinions?

peter d

Re: Plastic verses metal

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Bob Peterson: Ever cut your hand on a fiberglass box?

If not, take my word for it. It hurts. :D
That's what you get for using those crummy Allied boxes! :p

Re: Plastic verses metal

bphgravity said:
Plastic is inherently "safer" due to its non-conductive aspect, however I totally agree with Celtic.

Think Fire Rating, NEC was and is Fire Saftey first. If plastic was safer then why are metal boxes required in shared fire partition walls on Multi-dwelling units in some jurisictions?

haskindm

There are advantages to either type of box. A plastic box will not create a ground fault if a conductor comes in contact with the box. A metal box is more resistant to high temperature in the event of a loose connection. Plastic is cheaper and perhaps easier/quicker to install. Plastic boxes do not require a grouding pigtail to the box. Metal boxes may be ganged together, plastic multigang boxes need to be purchased as such. Metal boxes may be more resistant to abuse, such as being pushed back into position after the stud to which they are mounted gets warped.
Like everything else, it is largely a matter of preference and cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.