Platform/stairs requirments around a generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seeking knowledge as to if there is a requirement by NEC or other publication to have a platform and stairs around an elevated generator which will be 36 inches above the ground. The elevation will comprise of the base fuel tank and concrete pad structure.:?

maghazadeh

I am seeking knowledge as to if there is a requirement by NEC or other publication to have a platform and stairs around an elevated generator which will be 36 inches above the ground. The elevation will comprise of the base fuel tank and concrete pad structure.

Only thing I can think of is maximum height of 6 ft-6 inches for main breaker and any emergecy shut down switches. If your installation causes these to be higher than 6'6", then I would say yes you need platforms 30" wide by 36" long minimum on the front of CB and etc.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Out of all of the generators with base mounted tanks that I have installed over the years, I had only one inspector require stairs or a platform. I don't see it as an unreasonable request, and used a rv stair complete with platform. They have a built in hand rail so you stay out of trouble with OSHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.