Plating rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshea

Customer wants to have flexibility for rectifier. Output is max 5000Amps DC. Present system uses solid copper bars on output to plating tank. Customer will spend an entire weekend drilling and bolting copper bars together. Wants to cable between the output bars and the bars to the tank, approx 4'. I'm wondering what cable/conductor would be the most effective. If I used 500mcm (CU) I would need at least 12 lengths in parallel (times 2; positive and negative terminals). I don't think building wire is the way to go (gut feeling).

Any recommendations, including websites to research?

Thanks!

Paul B

Try a company called Tipaloy. If that don't pan out try Taylor-Winfield or Banner Welding. Banner is in Wisconsin, the other two I'm not sure anymore.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
welding cable. Much better flexibility and higher current rating.
Its ampacity is not really any higher than the same size normal wire...the welding cable ampacity is based on 90?C and free air.
The only time I worked on any plating equipment, we used copper bus and not cable for all of the connections.
Don

tonyi

My dad used to use welding cable for danglers in the barrel plating lines cuz it lasted about as well as the factory danglers and was a lot cheaper (danglers get beat up fast), but the rectifier to the tanks was always buss bar.

Why do they need this flexibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.