PLC I/O device & NEC 725 Class 1 wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve8440

Example Situation: I have to design 24VDC power & I/O wiring from PLC control panel and field terminal box via trough or cable tray. Since the 24V, 10A power supply (in the PLC panel) is not a listed Class 2 device, the wiring defaults to Class 1 and I am planning to use 600V tray cable. In the field, a factory assembed cable with connector is installed from the field terminal box to the sensor (e.g. prox switch, pressure transmitter). However, this cable is rated for 300V and is #22AWG which doesn't meet Class 1 rules. Back at the control panel, the PLC I/O cards are wired to a terminal strip using a multi-conductor 300V cable as well.

Do Class 1 wiring rules (e.g. 600V insulation, #18AWG minimum per NEC 725) apply to the device cordsets and PLC cabinet I/O wiring in this situation?

If the same situation occurred, only this time the equipment (PLC, trough, wiring, devices) are all mounted on a skid as a piece of equipment, does the NEC even have jurisdiction under NEC 90.2 or would this make it subject to NFPA 79 (or other?) instead?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.