PLC MOV Instructions

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

dronai

How many of you maintenance Electricians that troubleshoot PLC problems or do programming, are using MOV functions ?

Just want to see how far I need to go with my PLC studies, just for electrical maintenance work.

Ken9876

I deal with functioning systems that have been tested and operate properly and I find very few problems with the PLC system. Usually the problem lies with something in the field and not the PLC. But back to your question I do see some move functions in our programs, however remember that there are many other functions that will store data in other files without a mov. I would suggest taking your PLC studies as far as you can.

dronai

Thanks for your input. Hopefully just looking through the ladder, and getting familiar their system without any problems until I get used to it.

realolman

I don't know why you would want to limit yourself to whether or not you would want to understand and know how to use something as simple as a MOV instruction. That is a piece of cake compared to all the other stuff that you will have to deal with

I think if you want to so finely trim what you want to know and what you don't want to know you should not be in an industrial troubleshooting capacity at all.

I am sorry if that seems blunt, but if you don't want to know everything, you oughta be somewhere else.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
If you have "smart" modules, motion control, HMIs, etc, you will regularly use them. As you want to make changes, say to an acceleration or to a screen displayed value, you need to understand how the data is "grouped" and then MOVed to the module. There is not a lot of complexity in the basic technology. When indirect addressing (deciding which block of data gets moved), it gets (to me) a little more difficult to follow. The computer guys might call this a "pointer".

wbrown66

Mov instruction

Mov instruction

Definately take the time to learn the MOV instruction. It is very handy and used alot. Keep up the hard work!!

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
How many of you maintenance Electricians that troubleshoot PLC problems or do programming, are using MOV functions ?

Just want to see how far I need to go with my PLC studies, just for electrical maintenance work.

all of it.... you may not be writing it, but if you are maintaining it, you need to know what it does, and how it works.

There are two parameters, Source and Destination (Dest) associated with the move command:

Source is the address of a word (such as I:1, S:3, N7:0, B3:3, or T4:0.ACC) of the data you want to move. The Source can also have a constant for a value.
Dest is the operator specified address of a word (such as I:1, S:3, N7:0, B3:3, or T4:0.ACC) where the Source data is to be moved.

in manufacturing, this allows a value for something to follow that something thru the manufacturing process.

let's say you have varying widths of a product, and want it to get transferred so that the product moves onto another conveyor centered on that conveyor.
you can use a photoeye to measure a value for the product, and send that value down the conveyor with the product, so when it gets to the right conveyor,
the kicker knows when to fire to move the thing onto the next conveyor centered.

then, you need to know how to edit it to get it to work, when conveyor tolerances come out a smidge off.....

if you don't know how this works, you may have a problem.

wireguy8169

I agree with others take it as far as you can, even if you never think you will use something you find that at least being familiar with it will save you a ton of time trouble shooting.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.