PLC Programmers! Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricMatt

I am an electrician that does mostly industrial and industrial control work. I have a good understanding of control systems and a limited understanding of PLCs.

I have done a little, very light, PLC programming. However, I would like to move into more PLC design and programming then electrical work.

I have found several different curriculums out there, and I do not want to waste my money on programs that are half baked. I would like any recommendations on how to expand my knowledge further on this subject please.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gar

Occupation
EE
190131-2202 EST

Buy a simple PLC, study the manual, and play.

Basically you need to understamd logic. and the rules for the particular PLC.

Find out what AND, OR, NOR, NOT, NAND. XOR, and timers are and do.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I agree with Gar. Buy something and jump in. I started with ABs MicroLogix 1000 because that was well represented in the area. Sales and Tech school. Nothing was free from them and full retail pricing. Ouch. Support is excellent and should be for the money spent.

I found low end units from an online supply house that perform very well at low cost plus the programming is at no additional cost. Same with the HMIs. Buy one of those as well and use it as your test stand I/O.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I did a quick search and I see lots of PLC simulator references. A simulator is a software representation of the PLC and may save you from having to buy actual hardware at least initially. I would check that out first.

ElectricMatt

That’s what I thought. Are there any resources that you would recommend to help learn the structure and functions.

Thank you for you’re recommendations by the way. It is much appreciated.

ElectricMatt

I did a quick search and I see lots of PLC simulator references. A simulator is a software representation of the PLC and may save you from having to buy actual hardware at least initially. I would check that out first.

Yes I have used some of the emulators. They are good, but limited. Just looking for the next step.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
a simulator is just not the same thing. get some actual hardware and software. something that you can program and see it actually do something. even if it is just flashing a light.

there are plenty of PLCs available these days with free software and hardware that is in the $100 range.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Buy yourself a Click PLC from AutomationDirect, and wire up some switches to simulate inputs. The Clicks are cheap as chips, and their software is free.

I'd recommend a model with an Ethernet port. That way you don't have to mess around with a serial cable.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...(stackable_micro_brick)/plc_units/c0-10dd1e-d

You'll need a 24VDC power supply to operate the PLC:

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ower_supplies/24vdc,_din_rail_mount/psv24-30s

The 30W supply I linked to will easily operate the PLC, and any indicators or (small) relays you'd want to run with the outputs (watch the max current for the outputs. Clicks are limited to 100ma per output).

SceneryDriver

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Buy yourself a Click PLC from AutomationDirect, and wire up some switches to simulate inputs. The Clicks are cheap as chips, and their software is free.

I'd recommend a model with an Ethernet port. That way you don't have to mess around with a serial cable.

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...(stackable_micro_brick)/plc_units/c0-10dd1e-d

You'll need a 24VDC power supply to operate the PLC:

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...ower_supplies/24vdc,_din_rail_mount/psv24-30s

The 30W supply I linked to will easily operate the PLC, and any indicators or (small) relays you'd want to run with the outputs (watch the max current for the outputs. Clicks are limited to 100ma per output).

SceneryDriver
Get one of their small HMIs as well. They have a new lower end that is Ethernet ready. A bit pricey compared to the others but nice.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Get one of their small HMIs as well. They have a new lower end that is Ethernet ready. A bit pricey compared to the others but nice.

Good point. How do you like the newer, larger c-more Micros? I've only used the wee little ones with a monochrome screen and serial connection. I was actually thinking about ordering one for an upcoming project, but I'd love a recommendation.

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.