Please Define: "Service Entrance Equipment"

UtahEngineer

Occupation
Engineer
Hi,

I am looking for help on what is the definition of "Service Entrance Equipment".

Background:
We are performing a code review of a government project to provide power from an existing transformer to a new shelter building.

UFC 3-520-01 Interior Electrical Systems, with Change 2, states:
Provide the following specification requirements for SPD on the service entrance equipment
a. Use SPD to protect the electrical service entrance equipment.

We are installing a meter and breaker near this existing transformer, then feeding underground conduit & wire ~250 feet to a new shelter.
A colleague of mine interprets that we need to install an SPD at the "service equipment" (breaker by transformer where neutral is bonded to ground at this breaker).

However, I contend that by placing the word "entrance" between "service" and "equipment" that service entrance equipment would include the service equipment (breaker by transformer) and also everything from there to where the service enters the shelter and goes into the first panel, where I think the SPD can be fed from a branch breaker in the panel.

I couldn't find a definition of "Service Entrance Equipment", only "Service Equipment", so if you can point to a reference that would help clarify this for us. If this is not clearly defined, then I believe it is up to professional interpretation, and I think the intent is to install the SPD from the first panel.

I appreciate any feedback you can provide!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO someone made up their own term "service entrance equipment". Service equipment as defined by the NEC should be what they call it.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The NEÇ would typically consider the meter and breaker as the 'service', the stuff after this point would be feeders or branch circuits.
However, if this breaker was labeled as an emergency disconnect not the service, the remote breaker becomes the service equipment.

But if this was my design, I would want an SPD at the meter and another at the remote building.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The Article 100 definition of Service Equipment is fairly decent. It would not include an emergency disconnect labeled and wired as not service equipment or the meter enclosure.

Service Equipment.
The necessary equipment, consisting of a circuit breaker(s) or switch(es) and fuse(s) and their accessories, connected to the serving utility and intended to constitute the main control and disconnect of the serving utility.

UtahEngineer

Occupation
Engineer
IMO someone made up their own term "service entrance equipment". Service equipment as defined by the NEC should be what they call it.
After thinking about it more, I think I agree, whoever wrote the UFC, meant service equipment. If they are using an electrical term that isn't defined in the NEC they should put it in their definitions.

UtahEngineer

Occupation
Engineer
The NEÇ would typically consider the meter and breaker as the 'service', the stuff after this point would be feeders or branch circuits.
However, if this breaker was labeled as an emergency disconnect not the service, the remote breaker becomes the service equipment.

But if this was my design, I would want an SPD at the meter and another at the remote building.
I think we are going to go with this approach. We will bond neutral to ground at the shelter so that becomes the service equipment. I won't put an SPD at the upstream meter, just at the shelter building.

I think we are going to go with this approach. We will bond neutral to ground at the shelter so that becomes the service equipment. I won't put an SPD at the upstream meter, just at the shelter building.
Perhaps I misunderstanding the setup, but this does not sound right to me. Primarily, this does not sound like a one or two family dwelling, so the service disconnect is next to the meter and you need a four wire feeder to the remote structure.

kwired

Electron manager
Perhaps I misunderstanding the setup, but this does not sound right to me. Primarily, this does not sound like a one or two family dwelling, so the service disconnect is next to the meter and you need a four wire feeder to the remote structure.
On possibly needs to take into consideration where the service point is. The "service disconnect" pretty much has to be on the customer side of the service point. Sometimes there is disconnecting means that are owned or maintained by the POCO and many AHJ's don't let you consider that to be the service disconnect even if it meets all other requirements for a service disconnect as the POCO could replace it with something that doesn't meet all the requirements leaving you without a proper service disconnecting means.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
If this install is under the 2023 NEC, an SPD is required at the service location and at the feeder location. 230.67, 215.18.