Please explain what the neutral is

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem understanding the neutral in 110 circuits. I hahve been told that the neutral carries the unbalanced load back to ground.

Is this right? Is there some easy way to get a good understanding of "neutral". I usually don't have much problem understanding stuff, but I have yet to get a good feel for what it does. I do know that it will shock you. But it is tied into ground in the main panel. DOn't make since.

I hope someone can explain so that I can get a good understanding of it instead of just trying to remember when and where to hook it. I don't like doing stuff just because someone tells me to.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This sounds very much like a follow-on question from your thread on testing wires at high currents. I'll give you the same answer I gave there: You need to hire an electrical engineer to assist with your testing.

The amount of information that would have to be conveyed, in order to give you a basic understanding of what a neutral is, what it does, why it is connected to the ground bus at the service (and at no other place in the building), what is meant by "unbalanced current," how that applies to single phase systems, and all the other questions you have not yet learned enough to know that you need to ask, is way beyond what this Forum can give you.

I am going to close this thread. You need to look elsewhere for assistance. You need to talk with an electrical engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.