Please help me with this question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Grovetown, Ga., and heres my problem:

A singlewide mobile that was somewhere near 35 or so years old burned to the ground due to an electrical problem in August of this year. The trailer had been lived in on and off for years, but had been completely vacant for about one and a half years prior to the incident in August.The meter had been pulled sometime during this period. When a new tenant wanted to rent it, the local power company was called to re-connect.
When the power company technician arrived to re-connect the service, he didn't do so because of a safety concern. This turned out to be, as far as I can understand, a bent meter base. The power company was called a few days later to come back out after someone made the repair to the meter base. They continued with the inspection that they normally do for a re-connect, and service was restored to the dwelling.
Just a couple of weeks later, it burned to the ground. After a close inspection by a highly qualified individual, it was determined that it was caused by faulty wiring. The power company's liability I think stops at the main disconnect on the pole, BUT is there ANYTHING in the NEC that says that because of the trailers age and condition, the local governing body's inspectors are supposed to conduct an internal inspection prior to service being restored??
Mobile homes of this age have a reputation of being fire hazards because of aluminum branch circuits, etc, etc,. And simlpy that it had been vacant for so long tells me that rats or other things could have caused damage that should have been addressed.
IS THERE ANYTHING IN THE NEC THAT ADDRESSES THIS?????

hockeyoligist2

MODERATOR’S NOTE:

I have deleted this reply. No reflection on hockeyoligist2, and I offer my thanks for making the effort to post a reply. But I can’t allow it. See my next reply for the reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with instructions given to all Moderators by the owner of this Forum.

The owner does not want any discussions of ?who is to blame,? or of ?should XXX have done YYY to prevent this tragedy,? or any other discussions of liability issues. I know he would be as sympathetic as anyone, and that he would share my hope that nobody was injured. There are, I would like to believe, places to go for assistance of this type, including Internet sites at which this topic may be discussed. But this Forum is not among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.