Please help! Trying to understand what all is going on here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayne

Occupation
Learning
Depends on the poco too, Georgia Power will not allow the GEC in any of their equipment, but BREMC prefers it, and wants it to extend all the way out the mast where they crimp it with the neutral, even though it passes through a side lug at the neutral connection in the meter base.
So In a situation like this where the system is grounded at the meter(the gec comes off the meter and attaches to the grounding electrode ) does it still need a gec coming off the neutral bus in the main panel attaching to the electrode if so why or why not bc I know the neutral bus should still be bonded to the enclosure as eveyone above has stated.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
So In a situation like this where the system is grounded at the meter(the gec comes off the meter and attaches to the grounding electrode ) does it still need a gec coming off the neutral bus in the main panel attaching to the electrode if so why or why not bc I know the neutral bus should still be bonded to the enclosure as eveyone above has stated.
The neutral is the SAME neutral at/in/on:
the weatherhead
the meter (line and load)
on the neutral bus
You only need to attach it to the GEC at one point. As has been mentioned, some POCOs want it in the meter, some want it at the weatherhead. Some don't care and you can put it in the main panel on the neutral bus.
We're talking about the main service here. There are other rules for a subpanel.

Rayne

Occupation
Learning
The neutral is the SAME neutral at/in/on:
the weatherhead
the meter (line and load)
on the neutral bus
You only need to attach it to the GEC at one point. As has been mentioned, some POCOs want it in the meter, some want it at the weatherhead. Some don't care and you can put it in the main panel on the neutral bus.
We're talking about the main service here. There are other rules for a subpanel.
You only need to attach the neutral to ground at one point, when I read that ^ it clicked thanks

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
8436526433ad660f5e52f83138326d38.jpg
That is one Ugly panel .. many good points made by earlier replies.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Different brand breaker on the one 20 amp circuit

That panel and the 20A breaker, on the left hand side without the Visi-trip window, are probably original to the installation from the late 50's to the early 60's.
I bet this is an old QO6 loadcenter (there is no room to put a breaker next to the 2-pole unit). This panel was rated for use with non-CTL tandem breakers for up to 12 circuits.

So dig out your old books before claiming the original installation was not 'to code'.

Rayne

Occupation
Learning
That panel and the 20A breaker, on the left hand side without the Visi-trip window, are probably original to the installation from the late 50's to the early 60's.
I bet this is an old QO6 loadcenter (there is no room to put a breaker next to the 2-pole unit). This panel was rated for use with non-CTL tandem breakers for up to 12 circuits.

So dig out your old books before claiming the original installation was not 'to code'.
The panel on the other side of the duplex same panel and has tandem breakers so that’s probably not good, I don’t know that much about all these panels and all the home inspection courses I’ve took don’t go as deep as I would like on stuff so Ive just been popping off dead front covers and trying to look at what all is going on

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The panel on the other side of the duplex same panel and has tandem breakers so that’s probably not good,...

Those old panels can handle the non-CTL tandem breakers so that should not be an issue. You would need 60yr old catalogs to see that though.
IMHO, Home inspectors should just raise questions and direct their customers to the experts, rather than condemning installations based on a simple visual interaction.

Rayne

Occupation
Learning
Those old panels can handle the non-CTL tandem breakers so that should not be an issue. You would need 60yr old catalogs to see that though.
IMHO, Home inspectors should just raise questions and direct their customers to the experts, rather than condemning installations based on a simple visual interaction.
Its not a different brand breaker, just older. Not visually identical does not mean different brand.
good point i shouldn’t assume

Status
Not open for further replies.