PLEASE NEED HELP...Buck and boost transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so , I have to wire this japanese toilet seat and it requires 100V, I purchased a couple of buck and boost transformers and I haven't the slightest clue how to wire them, It has the H, and X labeling on the wire, The brand are, Hammond power solutions Inc, single phase, dry type, I am trying to convert from 120V to 100V, there are (4) connection diagrams and those are pretty much hyroglyphics to me, can anyone explain how to wire this transformer please, it can't be that hard, there is only 8 wires total, H1,2,3,4 and X1,2,3,4 etc.....any help is greatly appreciated, god bless...

-unwired in Vegas

found a schecmatic...

found a schecmatic...

This is the schematic for the buck and boost transformer, it's in section 2 of this link and connection #2. Can someone explain how this is properly wired, Thanks for any help, god bless!!!

hurk27

Simple in Chart locate the voltage needed, third column over in Group A Selection Chart (page 90) is 100 over 120, follow this column down to the bottom and it shows you need to use diagram 2

Scroll down to page 93 and see diagram 2

the 120 volt side will connect to X4 and H3, the 100 volt side will connect to H1 and H4, now connect X2 to X3 and cap, connect X1 to H2 and cap.

Depending upon the needed VA or KVA the left column in Group A Selection Chart is the catalog number that should match the transformer you have, not sure why you picked up two of these as you only need one?

The ERCB (last 4 letters in the cat#) is the 12X24 volt that you need, and needs to be the KVA rating of the load

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...see diagram 2

the 120 volt side will connect to X4 and H3, the 100 volt side will connect to H1 and H4, now connect X2 to X3 and cap, connect X1 to H2 and cap.

I see diagram 2, but I do not see the connections as you have described... :?

X1, H4, H2, 100Vout are all connected together.

Nin, H1, H3, Nout are all connected together.

X2, X3 are connected together.

120Vin is connected to X4.

PS: You have to zoom in to see the line-crossing connection dots.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
So is this GFI protected on the line or load side of the xfmr?? Not so sure I want to sit on this toilet seat!:blink:

I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong but I think a buck/boost trans. is not an isolated trans. so you would GFCI the line. If you don't you might have more of a load than expected.:lol:

hurk27

I see diagram 2, but I do not see the connections as you have described... :?

X1, H4, H2, 100Vout are all connected together.

Nin, H1, H3, Nout are all connected together.

X2, X3 are connected together.

120Vin is connected to X4.

PS: You have to zoom in to see the line-crossing connection dots.

Yep I missed the dots:ashamed1:

What was weard is I knew the 24 volt buck wiring but when I went to post I just put down what I saw:roll:

To much on my mind I guess:sleep:

Last edited:

iMuse97

I was going to put a gfci before the transformer...will it still work correctly?

yes, it will work correctly. I installed some xfmrs like that for dental equipment and put them on 2P GFCI breakers, as per specs. (Also interested in your answer to Hurk's question re: purpose of electric toilet seat.)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I just want to know what does an electric toilet seat do? not sure we can post the answer:sick:
I recently visited Japan on a business trip. The first hotel I stayed at had these things. It took me some time to figure it out. There were buttons all over the place, each with its own function. Heating the seat was one function, and water spray patterns were controlled by other buttons. I didn't figure out what all the buttons did, and I am not sure I want to know. :happyno:

Status
Not open for further replies.