Please think of the last Counterday you attended >>>Give your feedback<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougAles

Please think of the last Counterday you attended >>>Give your feedback<<<

>>> I'm asking for your feedback <<<

Its peak counter-day season, those distributor hosted warehouse trade-shows where you can talk to the manufacturer, see the latest products, give your feedback, get some swag, and a free meal.

I'm trying to put a lot of thought and value into them, bringing a 2nd table to show more new items, give away code update books, and offer hand tool's at promotional pricing that makes the distributor flinch. I try to get pre-event feedback from the distributor to modify the items I display so they are focused on the attendees market. I've been adding same day C.E.U. code classes with great success, but that's a separate topic. I promote the show in advance with social media, and then offer giveaways. For example if attendees tweet a selfie at our table and tag the distributor twitter name in their tweet they get a free logo sweatshirt or high visibility shirt. Normally, I have colleagues attend so we have plenty of experienced staff.

After joining the IAEI group, I invite local inspectors to attend and that’s gone well. I invite local specifying engineering firms as well as key local industrial OEM’s, mostly via individual messaging through LinkeIn. As best as I can tell, I seem to be the only manufacturer that helps the distributor by promoting and inviting attendees to these events. Also, as far as I can tell, the inspectors, engineers, and industrial OEM’s engage well with manufactures at these events.

From what I am seeing, most distributors are putting more effort and planning into these counterday events too, organizing them with a diversity of vendors. Distributors tell me they are trying to add value to the electricians that attend and I'm glad to hear this. For example, few years ago, it was one vendor at a time, today I'm seeing 10-12 or more vendors at counterday expos, enough vendors to offer a mix of electrical brands. Burgers have mostly been replaced by higher end food choices like pulled port, broasted chicken, BBQ, or even prime rib, always free for attendees. Often, vendors bring door prizes to be given away, with the distributor offering a higher value prize. Distributors are offering counterday events at different times of the day, some moved to the early part of they day, 7:00 AM-9:00 AM, or over the lunch period 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM, or at the days end, 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM. They will arrange the events floor-plan so attendees must walk past the manufacturer tables to get to the food tables. Based on my experience, for the most part, attendance has been impressive.

However, I'm seeing many electrician attendees walking briskly past the display tables, not just mine but all vendor tables, avoiding eye contact with vendors, moving at a high speed as they head straight for the food then sit and chat with coworkers at a table for the next hour or two then leave. Even if this is not you, you must have seen this, right? Although it varies, I was at one that was very lopsided to the disinterested. A dozen-plus vendors stared at each-other waiting for an interested attendee. Thank goodness, it not like this every time, but sometimes this situation becomes a concern. Not to let out a secret, but manufacturers pay distributors to attend the counterday, expo, or tradeshow, sharing the event expense. A low-cost counterday is $50/manufacturer, $500/manufacturer is very high, plus a vendor supplied giveaway door prize is sometimes required. Including preparation, traveling, set-up, participating in the event, then reversing these steps, its normally a day of a manufacturers time.

I'm not here to complain & gripe, but to learn and improve so couterdays are a greater value to electricians then a free meal.

>>>What can I do that would cause improved electrician interest at my next counterday?<<<

YouTube video link https://youtu.be/_lJn_fnVnus

luckylerado

This has got to be difficult as nearly all of the time the people attending are soaking up man hours or know that they need to get in and out during a lunch period. I honestly avoid these and rarely allow my guys to spend company time attending and they do not make purchasing decisions anyway.

Incentives that would grab my attention and justify the labor dollars are training. Training of any kind frankly that gives my guys a leg up. Any type of certifications or certificates even if it is specific to a product can justify the expense.

In my world, we need certs for everything. Fire stop training, powder actuated tools training, assured grounding program training, confined space, even dawn and doff fall protection training. on and on. Once we have a bunch of certs from a vendor, we tend to stick with their product. Hilti is not the cheapest but we have 11 guys certified to use it for example and unless 3M shows up at my door willing to give me certs without costing me labor dollars to retrain, and labor dollars to reassemble my standard submittal package, I have no reason to use their product.

This is where I find value in these.

I would also very likely show up to compete with others in the trade. If I were challenged to an electrical duel of sorts, my guys would destroy the other guys and look good doing it. Then there would be a title to defend next year. Lots of ways to use that competitive mindset to get people excited.

I am a sucker for anything that saves labor dollars and will invest in tools and products that can clearly demonstrate that labor savings but you need to get me there first.

__dan

Just briefly as I am out to work.

The food can make the event and it does not go unnoticed by the otherwise occupied attendees. I am sure the attendees know who sponsored their free coffee / doughnuts / hotdog even if there is not a gesture of acknowledgement, nod, eye contact. Don't take it personal, having been there some of the guys are just caught in a vise and then treated like lab rats so some time to grab a bite to eat and close the eyes is necessary. Anyway the hands on guys are probably the most knowlegeable about your product already and the specifiers / supervisors / administrators the most clueless, relatively.

For me usually I have to pay for the food but otherwise am looking for the free stuff, free training and reference materials, collectible promotional gadgets ... I've seen a lot of product demos and learned a lot. By way of feedback, Thank You.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
The vendors are often a waste of my time. They're selling commercial lighting, or specialized equipment that my customers aren't asking for.

What would go a long way for me is more reading material. I know reading isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I'd prefer you give me a booklet, a flyer, a business card with a website on it. Anything but making me slog through a conversation with the vendor.

Food is fine, but I won't eat any if I don't plan on sticking around to give the vendors my time.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
In a world of robo-calls, over-telemarketing and vendors pushing product quite frankly maybe no one wants to talk to you! If your not one of these then blame it on them for ruining it for you.
Best thing to do is not try to engage conversation before showing a product. Demonstrate the product, let the people come to you that are interested, then engage conversation.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I try to visit each vender, and if my help is with me they tag along. Some venders we tend to skip, because we do not use their product. I have yet to terminate HV primary at anything.

Food is good, but my guys are busy and they have things to do, so lunch and a quick browse around the room is about all they have time for, especially in the middle of the day. Giveaways are nice, and appreciated, but that will not determine if we stop at a booth or attend at all.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Swag is nice....pens, notepads, t shirts, I am particularly fond of hoodies if they have a zipper. If you want to score some MAJOR points with people that give heck have a good reference book, something similar to ugly's; it does not need to be as detailed but should have practical info, Doctor Watts or the EASA pocket handbook are good examples. I imagine to score points with some of the younger set a link to a phone app would be a good idea.

If you want to talk to me say "Hi" when I am close enough to hear without being shouted at. Don't talk to me about products, talk to me about work......."What kind of work do you do?, How did you get started in electrical?" or something about my town...... "I'm here for one night, where is the best place to get a good burger?"

As far as the products..... I am really at the mercy of what ever stuff my supply house decides to stock. And really, let's be serious, what is out there in the land of fittings, boxes, pipe, and wire that can make a difference in my day? To be brutally honest the only manufacture that has come up with anything truly innovative, something that makes my job easier is Arlington. They have to have somebody that has either worked in the field, or is out in the field talking to electricians.

DougAles

Thank you everyone for taking your time to offer feedback & suggestions.

I asked this question at two different industry forums and read several replys at each that training / certifications / I assume accredited C.E.U. classes offered just before, during, or just after the event have value.

Although I have three accrediated C.E.U. classes now, our product offering opens the possibility for more to be developed. I'll work on that.

Again, thank you for your feedback luckylerado, _dan, jaylectricity, mopowr steve, ptonsparky, and ActionDave. Your help is awesome!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I do not normally go to counter days just because I am not all that interested in the latest and greatest tools, but I went to one not real long ago. This guy was there.

He is the mascot for the local ice hockey team. My wife had taken this picture of him at a KMart back in 2008 and wanted him to autograph it so I took the picture there and he autographed it for her. The team even had a photographer there who took pictures of people with Hammy and later they got the picture in a frame. Mine is sitting on a shelf in my office.

Attachments

• hammy.jpg
    hammy.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.