PLTC passing through a C1D1 area

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post and thanks in advance for your help. I have a specific question about the use of PLTC in classified areas. The cable in question is PLTC, it is exposed (i.e. not in conduit or any raceway), and both ends are terminated in C1D2 areas. The cable originates at junction box in a C1D2 area, passes through a C1D1 area, and terminates at a device in a C1D2 area. My question is, is there any exception in the NEC 2011 or 2014 that allows the exposed PLTC to pass through the C1D1 area?

For a little background, I am reviewing some existing wiring for a customer and want to make every effort to justify what is installed before recommending new wiring practices, etc. I understand that exposed PLTC is not an approved wiring method for C1D1, but want to be sure there is not an exception that allows PLTC to pass through a C1D1 area when the cable jacket is not disturbed.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
There is no exception. As you already noted, exposed PLTC is not a permissible wiring method in Class I, Division 1.

For those compelled to point it out, it could be installed under Article 504, but that was not the context of the OP.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is the area where the cable is actually installed really a C!D1 area? You might want to take a close look at the documents that classify the area. Sometimes it is only classified to a certain height.

Status
Not open for further replies.