plug-and-cord electric baseboard heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelG

I have a request to install an electric baseboard heater in a bedroom as plug-and-cord connected. I'm curious what people think about the legality of this.

Section 400.7 of the 2005 NEC says that flexible cords can be used for "connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange."

The homeowner's reasoning is that they want two 30A dedicated outlets in the room. One would have the heater plugged in, and the other would be unused. They forsee moving their furniture around at some point, and don't want the heater next to their bed. So then they would be able to just move the heater themselves themselves and plug it in to the new outlet. They would be doing a little bit of carpentry, but not needing any electrical work.

By this rationale, arguably the usage fits 400.7.

Do people agree? Has anyone ever seen electric baseboard heating listed for plug-and-cord connection?

Thanks,

Joel

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: plug-and-cord electric baseboard heating

I don't see a problem, so long as the manufacturer allows a plug & cord connection. But that is the key to whether or not this will be acceptable.

paul

Sometimes homeowners can be a real PITA. What about a 2-pole 2-throw (30A) switch and two heaters? Hide the switch in a closet. BB heaters are inexpensive.

You also have to slide this by the AHJ and his interpretation of 'Frequent'.

[ August 11, 2005, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: paul ]

paul

For that matter, since it's used for controlling, you can get away with a single pole, double throw 30A switch.

added: 1287 Leviton 1P 2throw
1288 Leviton 2P 2throw

[ August 11, 2005, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: paul ]

websparky

I would think the unit is made for wall mounting only. In other words, it must be secured to a wall so it can't tip over and burn the house down. Also, these types of baseboard heaters can't be located under a receptacle.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Seems to me it is safer than the alternative of having a freestanding electric heater.

I don't think the word "frequent" fits this case, unless they plan to move the bed once a month.

I don't like having the bed cover up an electric heater, even if it is turned off, so I would not vote for that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.