Plug-in fluorescent shop-lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

According to 400.8, flexible cords can't be used where hidden by suspended ceilings. Would this apply to fluorescent shop-lights with a plug-in cord, like a lot of people use in their basements with suspended ceilings?

In that case, would they need to use the type that are designed to be hard-wired instead? I've actually seen a lot of plug-in types with receptacle outlets within suspended ceilings in people's basements.

According to 400.8, flexible cords can't be used where hidden by suspended ceilings. Would this apply to fluorescent shop-lights with a plug-in cord, like a lot of people use in their basements with suspended ceilings?

In that case, would they need to use the type that are designed to be hard-wired instead? I've actually seen a lot of plug-in types with receptacle outlets within suspended ceilings in people's basements.

Correct. You can install receptacles in the suspended ceiling to accommodate these types of lights. I have also commonly seen this violation for ceiling mounted projectors in conference rooms.

jeff48356

Correct. You can install receptacles in the suspended ceiling to accommodate these types of lights.

I'm confused.. Are you saying that you can install receptacles in suspended ceilings for this purpose, or that installing them is a violation but people do so anyway? I don't see any exception that permits them in residential basements.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It sounded to me like he meant you can mount a receptacle to the ceiling grid itself (i.e., not above the grid), so that the light fixture's power cord is completely visible below the suspended ceiling. I am not sure about that, never having seen it done. I would have thought the grid structure would be too weak to be able to adequately support the box into which the receptacle would be inserted.

jeff48356

It sounded to me like he meant you can mount a receptacle to the ceiling grid itself (i.e., not above the grid), so that the light fixture's power cord is completely visible below the suspended ceiling. I am not sure about that, never having seen it done. I would have thought the grid structure would be too weak to be able to adequately support the box into which the receptacle would be inserted.

I've always seen it where people have installed a receptacle using a metal handy box attached to the surface of a ceiling joist above the suspended ceiling in the basement, and they use a 4X2 plastic lighting panel in place of a ceiling tile right below where the fluorescent light is hanging. And I never knew that wasn't allowed until I read this section in the Code. I've never seen any city inspection violations as a result of those.

use Caddy 512 or 512HD brackets on the ceiling grid, mount a box to the bracket, supported by a safety wire to the deck, and flex into the box mounted to the caddy bracket. Receptacle is in the ceiling tile, not above the suspended ceiling, and no flexible cords are present above the ceiling.

There had been considerable debate on this. IMo article 400 does not apply to power supply cords on consumer equipment. Mike holt holds this position too i believe.

iwire

Staff member
There had been considerable debate on this. IMo article 400 does not apply to power supply cords on consumer equipment. Mike holt holds this position too i believe.

But the fact is it is up to the AHJ and in my area neither electrical inspectors or fire inspectors will allow it. They will shoot a job down that uses cord connected condensate pumps at HVAC units above ceilings.

They really do not care what Mike Holt's position is on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.