Plugs, Prongs and Holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Re: Plugs, Prongs and Holes.

Pretty interesting. I just happen to know why the holes are there.

What occupies the space in the receptacle before the plug is inserted? The answer is air. If the plug didn't have holes in the blades, the air would be compressed when inserting the plug and would blow out the sides of the receptacle rendering it useless. The holes act as an air diverting device allowing the air to escape harmelssly out the receptacle causing no damage or harm to the person plugging in the equipment. :cool:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I submit that the cord cap prong hole is direct evidence of the Hole Theory of Electrical Current, and that the hole in each prong is the last hole that didn't make it through the circuit before the circuit was broken. :D

LawnGuyLandSparky

I don't care for Cecil's "HOLE ier than thou" attitude. :D

Also, I believe the Lillian Vernon catalogue sells a "plug hole filler kit." I can't repeat the pitch verbatium, but it went something like "stop pouring your expensive electricity down plug holes, and take advantage of all the current you got coming to your plug-in appliances"

29.95 + S+H

B

bthielen

I think I figured it out!

To give this forum one more topic to debate until it is distorted into some new unrecognizable form. :D

One thought I had. Are there receptacles available that incorporate some form of "catch" or tab that would mate up with the hole to grab ahold of the prong in order to keep the connection more secure?

Bob

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Cliff said the holes were started in the 40's as a war effort to save this massive quantity of metal to build weapons.
BoomSmilie_anim.gif

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

thats why the ones without the holes cost more, as stated above...holes let the 'tricity leak out :D

kelley

Occupation
Estimator

The holes are for the little guy in the receptacle to hold onto so the plug wont fall out. When you are ready to unplug he just lets go. He's related to the gut who turns the fridge light on and off!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by kelley:
The holes are for the little guy in the receptacle to hold onto so the plug wont fall out. When you are ready to unplug he just lets go. He's related to the gut who turns the fridge light on and off!
I've seen their ancestors on The Flintstones! :p

steve066

One thought I had. Are there receptacles available that incorporate some form of "catch" or tab that would mate up with the hole to grab ahold of the prong in order to keep the connection more secure?
Score one for Bob. In a recent P&S catalog, they have a cutaway view of a receptacle, and you can even see the catches on the connections.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Well, sure, it's easy to come up with the correct answer when you're responding seriously.

Stop that! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.