POCO liability

Status
Not open for further replies.

sceepe

Got a call from a client yesterday who said that many of the devices in his restaurant were not working. First checked and no breakers were tripped. Then realized everything that was not working was on C phase of his 120/208Y service.

Apparently POCO had lost C phase somehow. He had several 3 phase airhandlers that were trying to run so I told him to shut them down.

All this got me to thinking, this guy had to close down his buisness until the problem is fixed. Also, 3 phase equipment may have damaged. To what extent is the POCO liable for power quality problems? Can you ever prove it? Can they be held resposible for lost buisness of just equipment damage? Are acts of God excluded? Maybe some of you utility guys know the answer. I suspect that if you ask a lawyer, they would tell you you anyone can be sued for anything especially if they have liability insurance.

bphgravity

Much like building departments, POCO's have an obligation of service to the community at large (generally federally mandated) but owe no specific right to any one customer or person. When it comes to your local power company - I wouldn't complain too much.

jtester

I worked for utilities for 20 years, and now in private practice I am sometimes called upon to investigate damages such as these.

Most utilities generally refuse to pay for single phasing damage, because they can't guarantee it won't happen. It is often up to the customer to provide that type of "insurance".

It is rare to find one pay for loss of income, earnings, etc. also.

That being said, it often comes down to whether the utility was careless or negligent. If they were the cause of the failed leg, you might have a case, but if someone else caused the problem, say somebody hit a pole, the utility probably won't be sympathetic.

Jim T

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A couple of times Comed here in IL has paid out for losses caused when they were unable to deliver power.

The times I recall it happening it was do to their own ineptness, and not an act of god or random accident.

hockeyoligist2

Maybe a little off subject, but.........Phase monitors can prevent this from happening, but I guess that its to late now.... We put phase monitors on everything, it has saved many thousands of $

sceepe

hockeyoligist2,

Do the phase monitors you use come as part of TVSS package? Would be nice to have all in one solution? Integral to the panel would be good also. Do your phase monitors automatically shut down the equipment or just go into alarm?

Also, bio says your from close to greenville. R U close to tiger town?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have never seen any integrated into a TVSS.

The only ones I have ever seen or used were basically relays that turned off a starter so it could not run while one phase was misisng.

catchtwentytwo

Drill Down on Applications to get to Phase Loss Protection. It would be more practical and cost effective to install them "where needed". It would be better (and cheaper) to replace them instead of an "everything device" assuming that even exists.

http://www.time-mark.com/products.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.