POCO lock ring tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes there are different sizes depending on what each POCO uses. The tool is specific to the type of lock they use. From your link "TARGETED DESIGN: Specifically designed for use on Highfield 93180128 and 93180124 #6 barrel fasteners ONLY ". That price is cheap if it actually works.

Yes there are different sizes depending on what each POCO uses. The tool is specific to the type of lock they use. From your link "TARGETED DESIGN: Specifically designed for use on Highfield 93180128 and 93180124 #6 barrel fasteners ONLY ". That price is cheap if it actually works.
Ok shoot. I've got one here, I'll see if I can get some numbers off it

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I guess I don't quite understand the mechanism of these. Why can't you just stick an appropriately sized thing in the hole, like maybe an Allen wrench. what am I missing?
When you pull the lever the end expands similar to a wedge anchor.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I guess I don't quite understand the mechanism of these. Why can't you just stick an appropriately sized thing in the hole, like maybe an Allen wrench. what am I missing?
You're in luck. A few years ago I deconstructed one of these locks to try and make my own key. Ultimately that was a failed endeavour. I did save the parts so you can see how these things work. In photo #1 you can see the deconstrucuted lock. There is normally a spring but I couldn't find it. Photo #2 is a close up of the end of the plunger. Contrary to popular belief not all of these locks are made of hardened material. I cut this apart with a hacksaw.

This is how it works:
The tip of the plunger piece under spring tension forces the ball bearings outward so that the lock cannot be removed.
The tool is inserted and grabs on the end of the plunger (notice the point on the plunger and the hole in the end of the tool).
When you insert the tool it expands and grips on the inner edge of the plunger.
Then the tool is folded the plunger is pulled back, that allow the thin tip of the plunger to release the ball bearings but still keeps them in place.

POCO Lock001.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's a comparison of locked (Photo #1) and unlocked position of the plunger (Photo #2). The spring is normally at the right end of the plunger.

POCO Lock L postion.jpg POCO Lock O postion.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.