POCO says check your code book

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesguy10

I have a 400 amp panel wit a main breaker, fed right from a meter with a bypass. Inspector says this is fine, everyone else says its fine, the METER guy from the POCO says i need a disco BEFORE the meter, and to check my code book, and her is getting my inspector in trouble for passing me. What code could he be referring to?

ryan_618

He is probably refering to a meter disconnect switch. These are commonly required by power companies for some services, such as larger ampere servies that aren't CT metered. These are not required by the Code, but are allowed in 230.82.

iwire

Staff member
No matter what it is a power company requirement not an NEC requirement.

They might want a meter disconnect as Ryan mentioned or they may expect cold sequence metering which means the service disconnect is before the meter.

By the way, a "Meter Disconnect" is not the same as a "Service Disconnect" even though at first look they may seem the same.

TOOL_5150

No matter what it is a power company requirement not an NEC requirement.

They might want a meter disconnect as Ryan mentioned or they may expect cold sequence metering which means the service disconnect is before the meter.

By the way, a "Meter Disconnect" is not the same as a "Service Disconnect" even though at first look they may seem the same.

Electriaclly, Do they do the same thing? Cut both legs of the 240v service feeding the lineside of the meter socket?

~Matt

iwire

Staff member
Electrically, Do they do the same thing? Cut both legs of the 240v service feeding the lineside of the meter socket?

~Matt

Kind of.

Service disconnects can be on either side of the meter depending on POCO requirements

Meter disconnects must be on the line side of the meter, are not required to have over current protection and it is not the spot where the service conductors end and feeders begin.

iwire

Staff member
Can you explain that a bit more ?

Some power company require a means to shut the power off to the metering. We could install a service disconnect on the line side to do this. However in that case the POCO could also want to take control of the service disconnect and put one of their locks and seals on it. That would prohibit the tenant from access to the over current device etc.

So ... Instead we can put meter disconnect ahead of the meter, that disconnect will have no fuses and can be locked up by the power company because we will also install a service disconnect on the load side of the meter.

Utility>>>>>Meter Disconnect>>Meter>>>Service Disconnect>>>>Feeder

ultramegabob

the only disconnects that I have seen before the meter in my area are mounted on the pole with the transformers, it has a lever that has a hasp that a seal can be installed on, the lever is attached to a push rod that opens a set of contacts that are mounted high on the pole.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I suppose. A local POCO worker had a meter flash over because the meter clip burnded up and melted to the Meter. When the serviceman removed the meter he pulled the clip and bar with it. The live bar hit the can and bam sparks everywhere. Fried the whole can.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
bypass does not de energize it Bypasses the meter. would not solve the problem of Arc Flash or other safety hazards.

Cavie

These are now used by FPL here it Lee County to supply the Street lighting services. It is a meter disconect and not concidered the first means of disconect therefore, grounding and bonding takes place at the normal Service disconect AFTER the meter. Amasingly, the meter is also a by-pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.