Poco Xfmr Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sceepe

A coworker just told me that "code" requires a pad mount transformer to be at least 36" from a building and not in front of any windows. Is this true. Is 230.9 the basis for this? If so does 230.9 apply to underground service conductors???

Thanks

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This is not an area covered by the NEC. However, many building codes and insurance companies as well as POCOs have their own codes and rules.

mike0w

Clearance

Clearance

I believe this is something you need to discuss with the local AHJ and utility company, in my experiences typically 8'-10' clearance in the front of the xfmr, and depending if it is oil filled or dry type. Your utility company should have a sketch or some guidelines they can provide to you when completing your design. I have a sketch from the local utility company it appears out of their service planner binder that gives me clearances for outdoor pad mounted xfmrs with different circuminstances, for ex: within 5'0" of a door, exterior windows and at what elevation, distance from a corner of the bldg. etc.
Hope this helps.

cpal

FYI

http://www.nationalgridus.com/non_html/shared_construction_greenbk.pdf

This is from a POCO in MASS but my guess is there is little differece from the general rules.

try pages 109-110

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.