POE camera in Class II Div I area

I am looking to install a POE mini security camera in a Class 2 Div 1 area. I can't seem to find in the NEC if the Ethernet circuit needs to meet Class 2 Div 1 requirements. I am waiting to hear back from the manufacture of the camera if it is rated for the area.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am looking to install a POE mini security camera in a Class 2 Div 1 area. I can't seem to find in the NEC if the Ethernet circuit needs to meet Class 2 Div 1 requirements. I am waiting to hear back from the manufacture of the camera if it is rated for the area.
How high up is the camera? Does the division 2 area extend to that height?

If you can't get a camera rated for div 2 I know there are cameras mounted inside explosion proof enclosures that could used.

Thanks for the reply, but the camera needs to be in a Class 2 Div. 1 area. To complicate matters, it needs to be a small (Bullet) camera to fit in the space.

I believe the Article is 502.10(A)(1) in the 2023 code, that speaks to Class 2 Div. 1.
Is Ethernet considered Class 2 or Class 3 circuit?
Is the POE circuit required to meet Art 502 guidelines?

Hoggfann1971

Occupation
25 year field electrician / Instructor
I have been researching the same issue of sorts. Multiple Access Points in a Class 1 div 1 and 2 facility.

Best I have been able to glean on this is "intrinsically safe" . If the installation of a camera were in any other location other than "class" locations... the only article that has to be followed is what is referenced in ART 800..

I can not find a direct answer in the code as to if Communication for a camera or Access Point... which both use the same "tech/packet transfer" and the same Voltages... falls under a class 2 or 3 circuit.

90.3 Code Arrangement.

This Code is divided into the introduction and nine chapters, as shown in Figure 90.3. Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4 apply generally. Chapters 5, 6, and 7 apply to special occupancies, special equipment, or other special conditions and may supplement or modify the requirements in Chapters 1 through 7.
Chapter 8 covers communications systems and is not subject to the requirements of Chapters 1 through 7 except where the requirements are specifically referenced in Chapter 8.

800.3 Other Articles.

Only those sections of Chapters 1 through 7 referenced in Chapter 8 shall apply to Chapter 8. The definitions from Article 100 apply to Chapter 8. Installations of circuits and equipment shall comply with 800.3(A) through (H).

With all of this being said..... I myself as a old school sparky am going to error on the side of caution and design the conduit and enclosure package to make sure there is no chance in hades that i can blow up my facility.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have been researching the same issue of sorts. Multiple Access Points in a Class 1 div 1 and 2 facility.

Best I have been able to glean on this is "intrinsically safe" . If the installation of a camera were in any other location other than "class" locations... the only article that has to be followed is what is referenced in ART 800..

I can not find a direct answer in the code as to if Communication for a camera or Access Point... which both use the same "tech/packet transfer" and the same Voltages... falls under a class 2 or 3 circuit.

90.3 Code Arrangement.

This Code is divided into the introduction and nine chapters, as shown in Figure 90.3. Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4 apply generally. Chapters 5, 6, and 7 apply to special occupancies, special equipment, or other special conditions and may supplement or modify the requirements in Chapters 1 through 7.
Chapter 8 covers communications systems and is not subject to the requirements of Chapters 1 through 7 except where the requirements are specifically referenced in Chapter 8.

800.3 Other Articles.

Only those sections of Chapters 1 through 7 referenced in Chapter 8 shall apply to Chapter 8. The definitions from Article 100 apply to Chapter 8. Installations of circuits and equipment shall comply with 800.3(A) through (H).

With all of this being said..... I myself as a old school sparky am going to error on the side of caution and design the conduit and enclosure package to make sure there is no chance in hades that i can blow up my facility.
Article 800 in the 2017 code only applies to communications systems up to the first customer owned piece of equipment. All communications circuits beyond that first piece of equipment are covered by Article 725.

Note that 800.3(A) references the requirements of Chapter 5 for classified areas.

This changed in the 2023 code with a change in definitions related to communications systems and circuits and now these circuits, including ethernet circuits are covered by the Chapter 8 articles.