polarity testing gfci with power off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Burger

How do I test a GFI for polarity when the power is off?

Two apprentices and I recently trimmed out of about 20 offices in a clinic we're doing. Then I left town for a couple of days. While I was gone the floor was powered up and the recepts were test-checked. When I came back the lead journeyman told me there were 'quite a few' reverse polarities. I know now that I should have continuity tested the standard recepts for polarity before leaving, but is there a way to test the GFI's for polarity without powering them up? Thanks for any suggestions.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm sorry but how hard is it to match the color of the wire to the screw color on the device, or are you not using white wire?

ultramegabob

are you mis-using the term polarity for line and load? to check for line, use a continuity tester from the neutrals to ground, the one that rings out is bonded at the panel, it will go on your line side of the device....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Howard, you can also drag the female end of an extension cord whose male end is plugged into a known-properly-wired extension cord. Then you can check for which conductor is grounded by testing between the cord's hot slot and the circuit's wires.

Of course, if you're plugged into a GFCI-protected receptacle, it will trip with every succesful test. Can't have everything. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.