pole climbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba66

For those who have been trained to climb utility poles, what is the industry standard relating to class size, duration, and personal one on one training. I recently went through a class and failed. The course lasted five days. The first day consisted of a basic introduction to our hooks, gaff test, and the instruction or routine of HAND, DOUBLE LOCK, STROKE. We practiced this technique for @ 1 hour. The remaining 4 days consisted of 3 1/2 hours in the pole yard with 3 instructors and 13 students. We tested at 6 ft, 6ft w/manuevers, 12ft w/manuevers and 18ft w/manuevers. All climbs were performed with fall arrest tethers, but when a student was tested, the tether was removed and this took two instructors attention (one to carefully watch the climb for proper technique and one to run a video camera.) If passed, then one of the instructors spent what seemed like a great deal of time documenting the students progress book. We were told that each student was receiving at least an hour to an hour and a half of personal one on one instruction, but as i just described thats not mathmatically possible. Maybe more like 30 min. It seemed more like an unsafe marathon to reach the 18ft mark than an actual training class. I later found out that the pass ratio was usually 20 to 40 percent. Is 18 hrs of practice and training the industry norm to safely climb poles on a daily basis in the field?

realolman

Re: pole climbing

I was trained in the US Air Force, and while I don't remember specific hours, I know it was considerably more than what you describe. I remember wearing feminine napkins (on my bleeding shins under the hooks :) ) We didn't need no estinking tethers.

You have to be trained in working technique etc. It ain't so easy handling a crossarm or a transformer on the top of a pole, but with training so the guy on the pole and the guy on the ground are both on the same page it's not so bad. ( actually it is bad, I haven't climbed for 20+ years and hope I never do again.)

There is also the subject of pole top first aid, and rescue, rubber hoses, ropes, hot sticks etc.

I don't see any way to be trained in that amount of time.

[ February 08, 2006, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: realolman ]

apauling

I was trained as a tree climber, did not work for any utility, and rarely climbed poles. But I did climb a lot of small trees, the sizes of poles. The actual climbing part shouldn't be that difficult.

If they are making you wear those cheap leather shin guards, they are just limiting the worker pool to those with a greater tolerance for pain, or less sensitivity. I started climbing with those but discovered that the rigid curved front pads, or the mallory mag pads were actually comfortable.

I think the problem is actually getting trained in common technique. They want to know that you know their method. And I do not know anything about that method.

paul

bcfoster

Sounds like they were more in the "training" for the money than to actually teach anything. 5 days with one on one for an hour each day just doesn't cut it. We went through 2 weeks of 8 hour day training with the first week consisting of basic knowledge and safety concerns. The second week was more climbing and manuevers with more of a focus on "dead man rescue". Total one on one time was something like 30 hours for 2 weeks but class size was limited to 10 men and 5 instructors with 3 safety personel on hand at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.