Pole Digging Hazards

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbuckley

Gas pipelines are under a lot of pressure (up to 150 bar I was once) and so perforating one is not going to be a safe experience.

The reason gas pipelines are under a lot of pressure is that the gas companys use their pipeline network as a gas storage facility...

iwire

Staff member
The reason gas pipelines are under a lot of pressure is that the gas companys use their pipeline network as a gas storage facility...

Yeah, that is why it still takes two hours after the vaaves closed for the flow to stop.

But higher pressure also allows them to run smaller pipes for the same volume of gas delivered just like the power company. :cool:

A guy ripped into the same kind of pipe with a bulldozer about 2.25 miles from my home, luckily no explosion but they had to evacuate a 1 mile radius while they waited for the flow to stop.

richxtlc

According to the article, the crew followed proper procedure in locating the gas line, they made a call to verify the location. My problem with this is that they didn't have the line flagged and identified, as in a one-call. Maps can be off by a few feet or 10s of feet. There is a proper way to identify the exact location of pipe using a pipe locator. Using a map in an isolated area where exact physical location points are far and few make laying out a survey map difficult. Even the pipe line company uses the pipe locator unless they know exactly where the pipe is. If they followed their procedure then they should review it and maybe update it.

wawireguy

If you drill in a gas right of way without doing a locate with equipment on site you deserve the Darwin Award you are going to win.

charlietuna

We once drilled into an old 4160 line that was only 30 inches deep at an airport. Their records showed it was a 20 year old temporary feeder that was never disconnected. I remember looking in the hole after i heard a hissing sound and the water was boiling before it finally blew !

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Tuna, I one time at an airport, had the dozer operator push a wood roll coil of 5KV cable that had been "left" from an old project "so go ahead dig a hole and push it in". The dam thing was hot! the reel was about 5'-6' tall and almost a full reel of direct shielded 5KV cable. Never made it to the hole. No one was injured, but we/FAA had some explaining time; they finally remembered they gave the dig and dump order, when I pulled out paper work, then it just went away.

MAK

Is there a reason that there would be a map of the lines only? In the article it said they called to verify the location of the lines. What does that exactly mean? Would there be some reason you would not or could not use one of those locator devices in this instance?

ohmhead

Well just a field view but you can call in a locate and they have 72 hours to come out if you dig before your on your own.

That said they give you a dig number to prove you called they are to then call all companys involved with locates .

But here it goes ! its a company that just does the locates they dont work for the power company or the gas company or the telephone company or the cable company its a independent outfit who gets payed to do this locate .

And there worthless they never locate anything in the correct spot the only thing thats close is the power companys locate the gas -water- tele - sewer ect is a joke waiting to happen .

If you hit something yes your not in trouble but look at the news report its IMO a bad locate i see it on lots of jobs we do.

Heres one for ya in jacksonville florida we were tunnel boring last month tele lines across a street downtown we ran into a buried steam engine train from the 1800s when jacksonville burn down they just left it there many years ago wow you could see it on the cam ! It was 25 feet below the street

Last edited:
I personally augured into a 4in poly gas line while digging to set a pole.
The mark-outs were all in order, the gas line was painted and flagged.
The line ran about three feet behind the curb line and took a 90 degree under the curb and street. I was six feet away from the 90.
When the line was installed at the 90 there was a TEE with an 8 foot capped dead-end that the gas company never identified with tracer wire or on any prints.
At about 18 inches into my dig noticed the dirt flying out of the hole! My ground man yelled 'Gas', I shut down the digger and fled the scene.
A four square block was evacuated and luckily no fire.
Big investigation, after all it was the Gas company fault, prints were inadequate,
installation was incomplete, and the dead-end at the TEE was only supposed to be 2 feet long.
Only lost a set underwear!:grin:

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.