pole light access cover replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

panhandle444

How do others install a pole access cover after the screws have snapped off? Drilling and tapping can be time consumein the hardened pole.

I know they sell replacement covers but the manufacturer and product escapes me?

mgookin

How do others install a pole access cover after the screws have snapped off? Drilling and tapping can be time consumein the hardened pole.

I know they sell replacement covers but the manufacturer and product escapes me?

You can drill and extract the screws using an easy-out or you can drill and tap new holes. I've never done it on a hand hole cover but I've done plenty otherwise. It's not that much work.

kwired

Electron manager

If extracting a broken off bolt you will be drilling the broken bolt not the pole. Good sharp drill bits is first thing you need or it will time consuming. If having a hard time getting them out, sometimes a little heat from a torch will help make them let go.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
If you decide to go the drill and easy-out on the old screws--use left hand drill bits--a lot of times they will just back the old scew out and no need to use easy out or a tap.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Also--Make sure you keep them separate from the right hand bits--otherwise you will find that the kids got into your bits and then tossed one tiny(1/16)bit in with the loose small bits you just keep in a drawer--

and you will find it when you are trying to set up your new Ryobi bench top drill press's laser and it won't drill a hole---

then you notice the press is running backwards so you take it back and get another one which believe it or not is also running backwards--so you take it back and go the another big orange store and get a third one--guess what--it runs backwards too---

so now you think hmmmm something is not right--and that's when you look realllly close at that teeny tiny bit and notice it is a left hand bit--and feel really dumb because you didn't notice that the press was running in the right direction to begin with!!

Don't ask how I know this--just take my word on it please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.