Pole Mounted Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I have seen in the past,Pole mounted transformers leaking oil. If the oil gets below a certain level does the transformer eventually loose it insulating ability and short out? What are the dangers of a leaking transformer and how soon should a leaking transformer be reported.

wirenut1980

I have seen in the past,Pole mounted transformers leaking oil. If the oil gets below a certain level does the transformer eventually loose it insulating ability and short out? What are the dangers of a leaking transformer and how soon should a leaking transformer be reported.

Should be reported immediately. There are also environmental considerations for leaking oil. Not to mention the transformer will fail if too much oil leaks out.

Jim W in Tampa

You could sit back and wait for the fireworks display. Best to call poco and help the neighbors out before power goes out. But be warned the poco people are far less than polite about your help. They will act like your stupid and not know what your talking about. Had my share of dealing with them. Had tree fall on my service drop and took 15 minutes to get thru there heads that this is a 911. Tree was not only pulling my end down but pulling on the pole at the street. Thankfully i was home at the time to kill power before neutral breaks. Another time seen a service drop to an abandened mobile that broke from a tree ,laying live next to a wire fence just a few inches from touching it. They were rude both times. Makes you not wanting to help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.