Pond GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensonelectric

A neighbor recently installed a 75 gallon pond, and ran 1/2 PVC from a GFCI exterior outlet 35' to a stub up at the pond. He asked me to come over and check it out and look at the job. While I was over there he asked me if he could just trip the GFCI to turn off the submersible pumps monthly when the filters needed to be cleaned out since the outlet was behind the pond and in a hard to reach area. I told him I was not sure because the GFCI's are supposed to be tested monthly, but offered to install a exterior switch for him next to the GFCI outlet anyway. Do any of you see a problem with tripping the GFCI to turn off the pumps.

friebel

Re: Pond GFCI

I personally think that it is a good idea for him to trip the GFCI Breaker monthly when he is cleaning the filters. When I say trip, I am assuming that he will be using the button that will exercise the GFCI breaker to make sure that it will trip out, when there is a fault problem, and it will trip out at about 5 ma. Remember, we have experience Nation-wide, that the GFCI receptacles have a 25% failure rate.

bensonelectric

Is there anything code-wise wrong with using the GFCI essentially as a switch?

[ July 04, 2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: bensonelectric ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I am sort of assuming he did not plug into the GFCI but is hard wired to the line side of it. I don't see that it hurts anything to use the GFCI to disconect his motor other than it is not one of the devices listed as a motor disconnecting means.

bensonelectric

His pumps were cord connected to a normal duplex recepticle next to the pond, and connected to the line side of a GFCI on the side of the house.

redfish

If it's connected to the line side of the GFCI, then it's not protected. He should connect it to the load side to get GFCI protection. :)

mdshunk

The GFCI is undoubtedly not investigated for that use, but I think you'd be hard pressed to demonstrate any particular hazard associated with using the test button as your day to day disconnect. At worst, you'll prematurely wear out the GFCI and it will begin to nuisance trip as it mechanically wears.

bensonelectric

Sorry, the recepticle is on the load side of the GFCI. (to much 4th o' july partying going on)

I went ahead and swapped out the GFCI box, and replaced it with a duplex and a 2-gang in-use cover and installed the switch next to the GFCI.

Other than that I was impressed with the DIY job he did considering this was his first electrical project.

[ July 04, 2005, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: bensonelectric ]

aelectricalman

I recently changed out a batch of GFCI's that when tripped, still carried a hot to neutral voltage (120) while the plyug was tripped. The hot to ground was tripped but thereceptacles held. So a quick answer is no.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bensonelectric:
Is there anything code-wise wrong with using the GFCI essentially as a switch?
Only 110.3(B)

From UL

GROUND-FAULT CIRCUIT
INTERRUPTERS (KCXS)

The ??TEST?? and ??RESET?? buttons on the GFCIs are only intended to check for the proper functioning of the GFCI. They are not intended to be used as ??ON/OFF?? controls of motors or other loads unless the buttons are specifically marked ??ON?? and ??OFF.?? Products with ??ON?? and ??OFF??markings have been additionally Listed as ??Miscellaneous Motor Controllers?? and may be found under the (NMFT) category.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Matt could also have replaced the GFCI receptacle with aGFCI switch/receptacle combo, such as this one:
17351.jpg

He could wire it so the switch is fed from the load terminals of the GFCI, and then feeds the fremote receptacle.

bensonelectric

Thanks guys, I had a feeling that was the case, so I decided to play it safe and just have him spend the 30 bucks for the new box, switch and cover.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Chris,
I recently changed out a batch of GFCI's that when tripped, still carried a hot to neutral voltage (120) while the plyug was tripped. The hot to ground was tripped but thereceptacles held.
The most common reason for that is the feed was landed on the load terminals.
Don

iwire

Staff member

Wayne if I recall it is simply two devices on one yoke, wire it however you want.

These are a very popular 'cheap' hotel Bathroom GFCI and light switch.

be4jc

The most common reason for that is the feed was landed on the load terminals.
Don
Question: If & when this happens will the GFCI test properly w/ a tester? or maybe show rev. polarity?
or does it test ok :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.