Pool Bonding Concern and Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

poolnoobmaster

New User
Occupation
N/A
Hello all! First time poster!
I am faced with a question about bonding that hopefully someone can help me with.

We recently completed construction of a new inground Fiberglass pool. When they were pouring the surrounding concrete, they had gotten 3/4th of the way around when I had noticed that there was a copper wire that was left hanging into the pool. Later did I find out that this was the bonding wire. They wound up digging out the wet concrete and tying in the bonding wire to the rebar. The other end of the bonding wire appears properly connected to the heater, pump, and there is a connection to the water via a plug in the return line.

I'm worried about the connection to the rebar. I'm assuming that 4 connections were made, but I'm not entirely sure as I'm learning about bonding and equipotential after the fact. I'm also pretty sure they did not use any bonding clamps, rather just tied into the rebar like a twist tie.
My questions:
1. Are there any code requirements for connecting bonding wire to the rebar?
2. We are planning to place travertine pavers on top of the existing concrete surround - should there be a bonding grid in between the concrete and the pavers? In case the concrete bonding connection was not good, would adding a bonding grid between the paver and concrete serve as a "backup" for equipotential?

Thanks in advance!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Bonding and grounding of pools is a major safety factor and should be handled by a professional. It would not be right for us to assist in this as we can't be there to check everything, so I must close this thread. There should have been a bonding inspection done before any concrete was poured. I would highly suggest you get your electrical inspector to come and check it and also the contractor who was in charge of the bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.