Pool Bonding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elky57

New User
I am currently working on a pool that the Builder hooked up the equippotential Bond to the house service main grounding electrode via #8 bare copper. However the House service panel is about five to six feet from the edge of coping from the pool. Very old pool and house. the grounding electrode fell within the perimeter of the pool therefore he felt it should be attached. Is this an issue? Or should I detach the gec connected to the grounding electrode and drive a new rod establishing a new grounding system for the service? Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am currently working on a pool that the Builder hooked up the equippotential Bond to the house service main grounding electrode via #8 bare copper. However the House service panel is about five to six feet from the edge of coping from the pool. Very old pool and house. the grounding electrode fell within the perimeter of the pool therefore he felt it should be attached. Is this an issue? Or should I detach the gec connected to the grounding electrode and drive a new rod establishing a new grounding system for the service? Thanks.

There is not alot of info here so I will take a shot at it. I assume the equipotential bonding connects to the pool pump????? If so there is a connection thru the equipment grounding conductor to the main service which in turn is connected to the ground rod. Probably not an issue.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Greetings,

I will simply address the issue of the EBG connected to the dwellings GE. It is permitted to be done as described in 680.26(B) but not required.

"An 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding conductor provided to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area shall not be required to be extended or attached to remote panelboards, service equipment, or electrodes."

Paul W. Abernathy
Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
CMP #5 and #17

david

the grounding electrode fell within the perimeter of the pool

Greetings,

I will simply address the issue of the EBG connected to the dwellings GE. It is permitted to be done as described in 680.26(B) but not required.

680.26 Equipotential Bonding.
B (7) Metal Wiring Methods and Equipment. Metal-sheathed cables and raceways, metal piping, and all fixed metal parts shall be bonded.

I agree with Dennis since the bonding is required to be connected to the source equipment grounding system there is no concern

The OP question seems to indicate that the rod is driven 5 ft or less from the water edge of the pool. The question seems to be is this rod installed in the perimeter of the pool required to be bonded

I would say yes

Status
Not open for further replies.