pool bonding questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
I will run the solid #8 copper 18-24 inches around the above ground pool at 4 to six inches deep....I will bond the pool pump motor... completing a full circle around the pool

I need to bond four points around the pool....the ladder is plastic....
I will bond the water in the skimmer via the listed plate....

My question is the pool liner is metal....but the vertical structural supports are plastic...

.am I missing something?

Is there a way to bond the metal liner?

Also...there is a low voltage light that is part of the jet... The jet brings the filtered water back into the pool....I plan on mounting the transformer 6 feet away and plugging it into single outlet that will be on the same circuit as the pool pump....

I looked and I didn't see a way to bond the light or the transformer....I saw nothing in the directions....does it have something to do with the isolated secondary winding of the transformer?

Thanks

Attachments

• KIMG2345.jpg
    KIMG2345.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Are you sure the supports aren't metal encased in plastic? I've done a few pools and never saw plastic supports. They are usually open during the rough and I hit 4 of them spaced equally apart around the pool.
The light doesn't need bonding. The transformer must be one "listed" and "labeled" as a pool or spa transformer. They usually have a lug on the outside, or you can add a lug for bonding.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Last pool I did had plastic/fiberglass upright supports but the shell was still sheet metal, I at least put a lug on the very top-most bolt hole that bolts the shell together.
So yeah, what to do about that.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
Last pool I did had plastic/fiberglass upright supports but the shell was still sheet metal, I at least put a lug on the very top-most bolt hole that bolts the shell together.
So yeah, what to do about that.

What do you mean a lug on the very top most bolt hole?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What do you mean a lug on the very top most bolt hole?

I think he's talking about removing one of the bolts that holds the metal sections together and either using the bolt that was removed or installing another with a nut and bolting on a lug. At least that's what I have done in the past with metal sided pools.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
I think he's talking about removing one of the bolts that holds the metal sections together and either using the bolt that was removed or installing another with a nut and bolting on a lug. At least that's what I have done in the past with metal sided pools.

That would be only one spot though not four...how would typically handle this?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Firstly, I assume the pool is deeper than 42". It seems hard to believe that a pool that needs bonding on the corners is not designed to be bonded.

Without seeing the pool I can only guess as what to do but if it is a metal liner than you need to bond it somehow. Call the manufacturer and ask them about it.

Timy

I did an inspection on a pool[Endless Pool] a few weeks ago. The pool is built with a metal frame like your describing. The manufacture has a bonding kit that comes with the pool. You might give your manufacture a shout and see if they have a bond kit for your pool.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That would be only one spot though not four...how would typically handle this?

Thanks

You do this at 4 DIFFERENT SPOTS!
There are several sections bolted together, (if it's the type I'm used to seeing) you take a bolt out and add a lug at 4 separate areas equally spaced around the pool.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Well actually the metal surround is only one piece with a bunch of holes for bolting it apon itself at one location.
Which I guess one could drill additional holes in it to get the 4points. Though I would have had to dismantle the top rail then the upright supports to get a bonding wire up to where I could drill a bolt/lug. None of the pools I’ve seen seem to have any clear cut bonding apparatus come with them like it’s taboo, WHY? When pool bonding been around for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.