Pool bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolby

Hello all,
i am currently working on a pool at an apartment complex; originally to just replace a wet nich light. The conduit running to the light had been blocked or broken so I had to run new conduit and there was concrete that was cut so I could lay the new pipe. The concrete cutters also cut an 8AWG sold ground wile trenching. And I also noticed the nich was never bonded. I'm just wondering if I could bond the nich to the wires they cut and connect them all together and what would be the best way to do that? Wire to wire direct burial clamps maybe?
Thanks
-Kolby

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hello all,
i am currently working on a pool at an apartment complex; originally to just replace a wet nich light. The conduit running to the light had been blocked or broken so I had to run new conduit and there was concrete that was cut so I could lay the new pipe. The concrete cutters also cut an 8AWG sold ground wile trenching. And I also noticed the nich was never bonded. I'm just wondering if I could bond the nich to the wires they cut and connect them all together and what would be the best way to do that? Wire to wire direct burial clamps maybe?
Thanks
-Kolby

I would use a DB (direct burial) split bolt and maybe a short piece of #8 to splice the cut #8. Then split bolt another piece of #8 from the grid to the niche.
Also, if you are running PVC make sure you run an insulated #8 from the junction box to the inside of the new niche and cover the termination with potting compound.

stickboy1375

That's exactly what I was going to do. Thanks for the heads up on the ground from the j box.

You will also have to encapsulate the bonding lug internal of the niche, this requires draining the water below the light fixture, as it takes 24 hours to cure. I use Aquabond brand.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not required.... I just use split bolts when I do my pools.
That's fine. My suggestion was just a personal preference. Personally, I don't trust a manually tightened device like a split-bolt bug to maintain its integrity over time, especially if it is going to be buried. Again, just my opinion

stickboy1375

That's fine. My suggestion was just a personal preference. Personally, I don't trust a manually tightened device like a split-bolt bug to maintain its integrity over time, especially if it is going to be buried. Again, just my opinion

I know, I just didn't want the OP to think it was required, when it's WAY overkill.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would use a DB (direct burial) split bolt and maybe a short piece of #8 to splice the cut #8. Then split bolt another piece of #8 from the grid to the niche.
Also, if you are running PVC make sure you run an insulated #8 from the junction box to the inside of the new niche and cover the termination with potting compound.

You will also have to encapsulate the bonding lug internal of the niche, this requires draining the water below the light fixture, as it takes 24 hours to cure. I use Aquabond brand.

Echo?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.