Pool Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am working on a 30 year pool that has the bonding grid disrupted. There is no # 8 solid copper wire connecting the circulation moters to the rebar of the pool. The circulation pipes coming in from the pool are plastic. I repaired the electrical system for the pool and pointed out to the customer that the pool wasn't bonded to the moters. There are no ladders, diving board etc. I told her that I would have to run an #8 solid copper wire from the pool rebar to the moters. In a search for a quicker and cheaper repair she has been told by (some electricians and pool people that if a ground rod is driven next to and connected to the moters her problem is solved. My understanding is that this would do nothing to solve her problem and have no increased safety value to the people swimmimg in her pool. Am I correct in my understanding? Thank you.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Re: Pool Bonding

The rebar that is encased in concrete is already grounded so what would another electtrode accomplish? The purpose of the bonding conductor is not to ground the rebar but rather to prevent any voltage gradient through the water that the motor is used to circulate. You are absolutely correct that the bonding conductor needs to be run between the motor and the rebar.
--
Tom

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Pool Bonding

Tom thanks for your reply. Alot of the residential pool equipment put in with rigid conduit in the 70'& 80"s is now rotting out and falling over. When I go to repair the electrical I have also found the circulation motors not bonded. I'm surprised there are not more accidents. I was also surprised to find out that a lot of electricians who do pool repair work are not familier with the bonding requirements of Art. 680.

Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.