pool code run-around

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had 5 electricians to my home for plans to abandon current underground wire that services our detached garage. Our above ground pool equipment has been running off this power source since 1992 via extension cord to garage receptacle. However, I am very concerned about safety since buried service pipe travels directly under the pool to the garage. I want to run new power from house to garage AERIALLY, with new sub-panel in garage and then run separate GFI circuits to pool filter and propane heater.

Each electrician has given differing clearance restrictions. I'm really frustrated with the run-around.

I specifically need to know:

1. What is the minimum horizontal distance allowed from the edge of the pool to the overhead wire.

2. My pool filter and propane heater are very close to the wall of the pool (at best 3 feet). Is there any allowable way to connect this equipment without relocation of the equipment? Some have mentioned twist locks.

3. Is the use of above ground conduit allowable from the panel in the garage to the pool equipment if it is secured to stockade fencing posts and rails?

We would rather not dig our yard to bury new wire.

If I can get straight and reliable answers, I may be able to use one of the electricians I've interviewed.

Thanks!!!!

jwelectric

Re: pool code run-around

Question 1
Depends on the voltage of the over head conductors Table 680.8 Overhead Conductor Clearances, A. Clearance in any direction to the water level, edge of water surface, base of diving platform, or permanently anchored raft, 0-750 volts 22.5 feet,

Question 2
680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
(A) (1) Circulation and Sanitation System, Location. Receptacles that provide power for water-pump motors or for other loads directly related to the circulation and sanitation system shall be located at least 3.0 m (10 ft) from the inside walls of the pool, or not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the pool if they meet all of the following conditions:
(1) Consist of single receptacles
(2) Employ a locking configuration
(3) Are of the grounding type
(4) Have GFCI protection

Question 3
Rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, sch 80 rigid nonmetallic conduit with the proper thermal expansion fittings.

I would suggest that you have the electrician sit down with the book and show where he is getting his information.
As a contractor I would not mind doing this at all.
:)
edited to add sch 80

[ August 15, 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

tshea

Your profile says you are a homeowner.

Since your job will require a permit, you did plan on getting a permit, contact your local inspector. He will give you all the answers you need.
If you have already "interviewed" 5 electricians, my personal opinion is you are a price shopper!
If you don't like the answers you get here, will you call a 6th electrician?
Call your local inspector.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

This is not a "How To" question. The Forum rules do not prohibit a homeowner from asking that type of question. Let's be nice here.

Originally posted by pool-misery:
Originally posted by tshea:
Your profile says you are a homeowner.

Since your job will require a permit, you did plan on getting a permit, contact your local inspector. He will give you all the answers you need.
If you have already "interviewed" 5 electricians, my personal opinion is you are a price shopper!
If you don't like the answers you get here, will you call a 6th electrician?
Call your local inspector.
Thanks for your help. I have applied for permits and the township inspector informed me that the master electrician I choose will know "what to do". I've already given up on the lowest bid contractor because he failed to show up on three different scheduled dates. The other electricians are all within the same pricing. I'm not really that concerned with the pricing as much as getting an electrician that truly knows what the code calls for.

Thanks again. Also, I must apologize for posing this question in the area of the forum. I did not read the rules of this forum prior to posting.

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Question 1
Depends on the voltage of the over head conductors Table 680.8 Overhead Conductor Clearances, A. Clearance in any direction to the water level, edge of water surface, base of diving platform, or permanently anchored raft, 0-750 volts 22.5 feet,

Question 2
680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
(A) (1) Circulation and Sanitation System, Location. Receptacles that provide power for water-pump motors or for other loads directly related to the circulation and sanitation system shall be located at least 3.0 m (10 ft) from the inside walls of the pool, or not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the pool if they meet all of the following conditions:
(1) Consist of single receptacles
(2) Employ a locking configuration
(3) Are of the grounding type
(4) Have GFCI protection

Question 3
Rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, sch 80 rigid nonmetallic conduit with the proper thermal expansion fittings.

I would suggest that you have the electrician sit down with the book and show where he is getting his information.
As a contractor I would not mind doing this at all.
:)
edited to add sch 80
Thanks so much for your response. I'm still confused by the 22.5 ft. overhead restriction. I've been told by some that the overhead must be a minimum of 10 feet horizontally from the water's edge. Is the 22.5 ft. a vertical restriction or would it be like the measurement of a triangle hypotenuse?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

The 22.5' measurement is "cleance in any direction" so it is more like a radius not a hypotenuse. The 10' distance is a minimum horizontal clearance, so this would be the starting point for the 22.5' distance.

There are pictures of these clearance directions in 680.8.

redfish

web]http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27549]web page[/URL] pool-misery
Thanks so much for your response. I'm still confused by the 22.5 ft. overhead restriction. I've been told by some that the overhead must be a minimum of 10 feet horizontally from the water's edge. Is the 22.5 ft. a vertical restriction or would it be like the measurement of a triangle hypotenuse?
Try this link to the 2005 NEC online, go to 680.8 and you will see a diagram of the overhead clearance.
dance.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.