Pool copeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I've got some aluminum pool copeing that I need to bond, does it sound reasonable to try to drill and tap 10/32 machine srews for this . I would have used a screw and nut but the concrete contractor already laid the wire and theres no way to get underneath to put the nut on. The only problem I see is the material thickness is only .062, will only get 2 threads in it. Anybody here no if there's a minimum number of threads that need to be cut. Thanks much.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The screw would have to be rated for concrete. I would have the pool guy remove the wire. I am not sure what coping is so I can't advise-- isn't there rebar or steel you can bond to?

nizak

Dennis, copeing is the aluminum top rail (almost like a bull nose tile shape) that goes around the pool top and the cement is poured up to it. It is not mechanically connected together around the perimiter(22 individual pcs) and it is required to be bonded. I am quickly finding out why electrical work is so expensive when it comes to pools. Maybe once you've done enough you get it down to a science.

WinZip

Try drilling a pilot hole then a self tapper to hold lug in place also might want to check with AHJ about having to use dual rated mechanical lugs CU-AL on that alu coping.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is not mechanically connected together around the perimiter(22 individual pcs) and it is required to be bonded.
I agree it needs bonding but what a bummer. :) Lugs and screws but I would want a bolt.

Here is what the NEC says about threads

250.8 Connection of Grounding and Bonding Equipment.
(A) Permitted Methods. Grounding conductors and bonding jumpers shall be connected by one of the following means:
(1) Listed pressure connectors
(2) Terminal bars
(3) Pressure connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment
(4) Exothermic welding process
(5) Machine screw-type fasteners that engage not less than two threads or are secured with a nut
(6) Thread-forming machine screws that engage not less than two threads in the enclosure
(7) Connections that are part of a listed assembly
(8) Other listed means

Status
Not open for further replies.