Pool deck bonding continuity test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duggie

Through an odd set of events, including a building inspector's stroke, I've been directed to conduct 2 continuity tests on a pool bonding--one test is simply from one end of the bonding wire to the other, a no-brainer and certain to succeed. The other test is from the remesh in a concrete deck, already poured, and the bonding wire as it emerges from the concrete at the pool pump. I did a quick check of the conductive nature of a scrap of remesh before attempting to dig through the concrete to the actual remesh to be tested. I discovered that I really had to scrape into the remesh in order for the test to succeed. Even if I had successfully bonded one 4-foot strip of remesh, the next adjoining strip, being metal-wired tied to the first, will not carry the current for continuity. Any suggestions on how to deal with this catch-22 imposed on me?

Paul B

It sounds like you poured with out inspection. What are you required to do the test with? Are you concerned that the tie wire is not tight enough or that the WW was to rusty? Also what readings are you looking for?

Duggie

This is an indoor pool. Inspector signed off on pool rebar but not bonding, pool guy didn't catch it, poured gunite. House slab wasn't ready, so pool guy told me (owner) to tie bonding wire to remesh when remesh was down, which I did. Remesh inspection went through on house (not pool)permit, slab was poured. Inspector had a stroke, remembers nothing, so county wants me to evidence bonding with these continuity tests. Pool guy has bailed.
I'm using a simple 2-AA battery continuity tester, and the sampling of remesh that I've tested suggests it's highly unlikely current will travel thru the ties between 4' remesh strips. I believe they're tied tightly, but the remesh may have a rust-resistive coating? It stays brown in color, doesn't rust orange.
As to the indicator, I'm simply looking for a little light bulb to go on. Should I go for heavier voltage equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.