Pool Drowning in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not to speculate with such a horrible story but it's likely that with three deaths in an above ground pool where an adult can stand it can only be by electrocution.

growler

Not to speculate with such a horrible story but it's likely that with three deaths in an above ground pool where an adult can stand it can only be by electrocution.

I found an article about the drowning that stated the deep end of the pool had 7 ft of water. Standing wouldn't do you much good unless you were really, really tall.

I don't remember ever seeing an above ground pool that was that deep. So maybe these people didn't think about the depth either.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I found an article about the drowning that stated the deep end of the pool had 7 ft of water. Standing wouldn't do you much good unless you were really, really tall.

I don't remember ever seeing an above ground pool that was that deep. So maybe these people didn't think about the depth either.
It's common that pools with 4-foot sides can have depths of 7 feet by simply digging the pool deeper, and the liner will stretch accordingly. I had one 20 years ago.

growler

It's common that pools with 4-foot sides can have depths of 7 feet by simply digging the pool deeper, and the liner will stretch accordingly. I had one 20 years ago.

I made a mistake when I said they quoted the pool as being 7 ft deep. I went back to find the article and they actually said "several ft deep". You would think they would have measured the exact depth. That could be important.

I do see your point and it's a good one, With the lower sides these folks may that thought that it was not nearly has deep as it could be in certain areas.

When I was a kid (long, long time ago) I didn't know anything about pools. Went to a friend's pool from church and stepped from shallow to deep end without thinking. I was very glad there was someone there to grab me and pull me back as I could not swim.

Status
Not open for further replies.