Pool equipment re located. Not sure if pool is grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naborselectric

I recently came across a pool pump that was re located.

The external frame of the pump had a ground wire not attached to an equipment ground.

I saw no other signs of the pool itslef being grounded.

The pool light was gfci protected and tested okay.

It is an older pool, but just not sure if it safe. If the pool pump were to fail, i believe it would shock someone.

Are there any alternate ways to effectively ground a swimming pool without having to get to the rear on the pool?

Lots of variables...i know. A new pool would be easy, but i am lost on an existing pool.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I recently came across a pool pump that was re located.

The external frame of the pump had a ground wire not attached to an equipment ground.

I saw no other signs of the pool itslef being grounded.

The pool light was gfci protected and tested okay.

It is an older pool, but just not sure if it safe. If the pool pump were to fail, i believe it would shock someone.

Are there any alternate ways to effectively ground a swimming pool without having to get to the rear on the pool?

Lots of variables...i know. A new pool would be easy, but i am lost on an existing pool.

I'm sure you know the difference, but what you mean or should say is bonding rather than grounding.
When you say you saw a wire connected to the frame of the motor and not connected to an EGC, are you sure the wire doesn't go to an equipotential bonding system around the pool?

If it does go underground it most likely is the bonding connection to the EBS.

If you know it doesn't and that there is no EBS, short of installing one you don't have many options.

First thing you could do is provide GFCI protection for the pump via a GFCI breaker. Even if it is 240V use a 2-pole GFCI breaker.

You could also connect the EGC from the circuit for the pump to the bonding lug on the back of the pump motor.

None of this replaces an EBS, but would be safer than just having a circuit run to the pump with no GFCI or bonding of the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.