pool gfi protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

G52

The NEC requires GFI protection on pool pumps, lights, and outlets. By installing a 2pole GFI breaker on a subpanel for pool equipment would that satisfy requirements for all 125 v GFI and pump required. If so then what would be difference in a 2000 amp GFI main satisfying all gfci requirements in a building

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In article 100 see the diference between "Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI)" and "Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment", GFCI's and GFP serve two different functions.

Roger

mcclary's electrical

The NEC requires GFI protection on pool pumps, lights, and outlets. By installing a 2pole GFI breaker on a subpanel for pool equipment would that satisfy requirements for all 125 v GFI and pump required. If so then what would be difference in a 2000 amp GFI main satisfying all gfci requirements in a building

In your comparison, one trips at 3-5 ma, and the other trips at 30-50ma

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you could get a 2000 amp GFCI (not GFP) device, you could use it to provide all most all (I think there is at least one GFCI rule that requires local protection) of the required GFCI protection. The only issue is that this set up would never work as the normal leakage current would exceed the trip point of a GFCI.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This, to me, is a very bad install. If there is a problem on one circuit, then the entire panel would trip out. ow would you trouble shoot it?

Also, how would you comply with art. 680.23(A)(3) which specifically states that a GFCI shalll be installed in the branch circuit. You are proposing to install it in the feeder.

680.23(A)(3) GFCI Protection, Relamping. A ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in the branch circuit supplying luminaires operating at more than 15 volts such that there is no shock hazard during relamping. The installation of the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be such that there is no shock hazard with any likely fault-condition combination that involves a person in a conductive path from any ungrounded part of the branch circuit or the luminaire to ground.

SWHunter

To be a little more clear:

We are looking at a 50A , GFCI breaker serving a pool panel. Would this satisfy the requirement for the pool lights and pumps requirement for GFCI protection without any other GFCI equipment?

SWHunter

Dennis,
My previous post was made about the same time you posted.
I think you answered my question.
Thanks,..........

Status
Not open for further replies.