pool grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question was posed to me the other day "should a ground rod be driven and a pool bonded and grounded to it?" This is an above ground pool 48"dx18ft round. I said NO!, that this would set up another reference piont in the electrical system and a voltage graident between the service and the new ground could develope, thus creating a shock hazard. In art680 it states that you are to bond the metal framing members, pump motor, etc together but it dosen't say NOT TO drive a rod, and it doen't address this in art250 either.
Bill

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A ground rod is not necessary, nor required. It is however permitted as a supplementary electrode if you so choose to install one. IMO it's a waste of money.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
bill@usps06492 said:
I said NO!, that this would set up another reference piont in the electrical system and a voltage graident between the service and the new ground could develope, thus creating a shock hazard.

I agree with the point that driving a ground rod at the pool is not necessary for safety, and not required by code. I disagree with the above, however. Adding a ground rod will not cause any sort of additional shock hazard. The additional ground rod will simply bond a portion of soil to the pool equipotential system.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.