Pool heater and Pump Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

clupteach

I am installing the power to my pool heater and pump. I am installing two inch non-metallic conduit and have not found any information as to the validitity of using NM sheathed #8-6 wire versus UF. Does anyone have any suggestions?

jwelectric

Re: Pool heater and Pump Installation

334.12 (B)(4) Where exposed or subject to excessive moisture or dampness

I would think that in a pipe buried in the ground would be a wet location.

What do you think? :)

allenwayne

Not sure of the exact article right now but NEC 2002 requires all conductors installed in PVC under ground to have a conductor rated for a wet location (guess that goes bhack to the thread where plumbers use primer and glue to keep water in but most sparkys use glue only and can`t keep water out :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

The conduit has nothing to do with it. If it's outdoors, it's a wet location.

jwelectric

Location, Wet. Installations under ground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

found this in article 100 Definitions

kevinware

How large is your pool? How long will the circuit feed be from the house to the pool? I am just concerned about the heater and motor circuit. If you run with UF cable table 310.16 states the ampacity of #6 AWG UF to be 55 amps and 680.9 states "the branch circuit conductors for the heater shall not be less than 125% of the total nameplate rated load". What is your nameplate rated load? There might even be some adjustment factors that have to be calculated. The best help I would give you is hire an electrician, your kids will love you for it and you will sleep better. I am just an apprentice, but when I am in doubt I ask my journeyman........

[ August 12, 2005, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: kevinware ]

benaround

clupteach,

Are you an Electrician? If not,the better way of wiring a pool would be to hire an electrician who is informed of all the latest NEC codes,these codes are to protect you and your family and friends. Think it over!

frank

allenwayne

Originally posted by LarryFine:
The conduit has nothing to do with it. If it's outdoors, it's a wet location.
What about pvc installed under a slab :D

peter d

Originally posted by bradleyelectric:
I have never met a homeowner that knew how to properly bond the parts of a pool.
Nor do many electricians. I have only done a few myself under the guidance of a "master electrician" who bought his license [no joke!!] so I don't trust the knowledge that I have about wiring them. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.