Pool History Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
All,

I haven't done much with pools. Last night I looked at a job where the HO had the deck of the pool ripped -up (jackhammer). In the process they exposed the conduits that feed the subpanel for the pumps/lights and the in-pool light fixture. The conduit was all grey Carlon RNMC, but it was buried just below the concrete and most of it closer than 5' to the inside wall of the pool. The problem is that the jackhammer broke most of the conduit couplings.

The question is - was this a legal installation at some time in the past and how long have they made PVC conduit (ie: when was this pool wired?)?

I would also appreciate opinions on whether this should be grandfathered (the AHJ will have the final say). I would say that since the wires will have to be removed to repair the conduit - that it will be required to meet current code when completed. Opinions? Facts?

Thanks,

Mark

dillon3c

Re: Pool History Question?

Opinions? -IMO.. Your re-wiring..Subject to the current code cycle,adopted to your area..

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Re: Pool History Question?

Frank,

If I'm reading article 680 correctly, PVC needs to be 5 feet from the inside wall of the pool and 18" depth. I believe that this supersedes the depths in 300.5 - ??

Thanks for the reply.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.