Pool light wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

I have a customer who has an existing swimming pool. The pool was not wired by code, and he has several things wrong that could present a safety problem. He has a switch for a pool light that is coming out of the cement, about 5 ft. from the pool. If that wasn't bad enough, the wiring is UF cable, and it comes directly out of the cement into a switch box mounted about 3 or 4 inches above the cement. The wires have signs of deterioration. The neutral conductor in showing ( not the copper, only the conductor insulation ). The circuit was not on a GFI, but I did put one on it. I suggested to him to let me at least bust the concrete where the wires come into the pool switch, and check the wires and repair them and protect them in conduit. He doesn't want to do that now. He also has the pump for the pool run in UF cable ( 240 volts) , and it is only buried a few inches under the ground. I have seen at least 2 places where the cable has been damaged and repaired. I recommended putting it on a double pole GFI breaker. He doesn't want to do that now either. I'm at the point to where I'm just about to tell him that I will do it for free if he will let me do it, just for his extra safety. He had other work done which cost him more than he expected, so I'm sure this is why he is hesistant. But seeing this is so critical, I'm concerned for his safety. I put the pool light on a gfi breaker, but am still concerned that the hot conductor may deteriorate, and come in contact with the cement. If the cement has rebar in it and has sufficient continuity to ground, I know the breaker would trip, but since this whole pool looks like it was done without inspection, I got my doubts about whether the breaker will trip. Doesn't the GFI mainly detect from hot to neutral? Thanks for your input. Steve

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Run, don't walk away from this mess. Either fix the entire disaster according to the code or do not get involved at all. You could be the target of a major lawsuit if someone gets hurt after you performed a bandaid fix on this thing. I understand your desire to help this person out but if anything happens down the road you may be left holding the bag. Obviously the HO isn't too concerned about safety.

H.L.

I am sure that if you search these archives (or Google) for electrocutions near pools you will find post that you can print and give to the homeowner that will illustrate how dangerous this situation is.

NoVA Comms Power

infinity said:
Run, don't walk away from this mess. Either fix the entire disaster according to the code or do not get involved at all.
Wise advice.

Injured Parties "forget" all about how they were the ones pinching the pennies and approving "band-aid solutions" -- they also "forget" about all of your well-intentioned advice and unheeded recommendations -- as soon as someone gets hurt (or worse) and attorneys get involved.

All they're looking for then is someone -- anyone -- to blame ... and someone to PAY.

Keep in mind that it might not even be that HO doing the suing ... it could be his insurance company (if they'd paid-out any claims) or any of his guests (even uninvited "crashers") -- all of whom would have absoltely no "goodwill" toward you at all.

Last edited:

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Agree with all. Saw a pool like this once and "ran like hell". I'd rather live in my car again than try to sleep with a band-aid like that on my mind.

Mark

H.L. said:
I am sure that if you search you will find post that you can print and give to the homeowner that will illustrate how dangerous this situation is.

Why waste your time on this guy.
If you qoute him a rewire he won't go for it anyway, he already told you that.
Leave & don't call him back.
Part of being a good EC is being able to read people & understand what they want or don't want. What they can & can't afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.